• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LD28 Oil filter HELP!

Albin's "power cruisers"
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA USA

LD28 Oil filter HELP!

Post by Hobbit »

I am new to the LD28.

What oil filter is used in the Albin 27 marinized version of the LD28?

I assume, but am not certain that the vessel had the recommended filter installed so am trying to confirm before changing oil. I have identified WIX 51521 on pre 83 LD28's in non-marine applications and WIX 51094 in post 83 non marine applications but I believe a WIX 1452 currently installed.

I don't have the Albin owners manual for the engine and the one under documents is not a marine manual. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone also has a copy of the Albin Owners Manual that covers this engine I would appreciate scans of important pages.

TIA

Mike June
Hobbit
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: LD28 Oil filter HELP!

Post by WillieC »

This may all be old news, but some possible light in the fog.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?p=7106

I've gone round and round with oil filters for motorcycles. Let us know what you land on and how you got there.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

There's is no specific marine manual. There's the industrial service manual, an owners manual brochure, and a marine supplement. The supplement covers a parts diagram and water flow.

Follow the industrial manual.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Tell the guy at NAPA you have a 1983 Nissan Maxima with the diesel engine and you need an oil filter and you'll be fine with whatever he hands you

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hobbit »

I see you are all where I am at!

Rick, I bought the 51521 filters. They were much smaller in diameter than the installed filter and have a 3/4 x 16 thread. They looked different than the installed filter.

I then bought the 51094 filter (1983) and it has a 1-12 thread. I am assuming this is not correct plus they were three times as much.

The service manual and supplement simply specify a spin on canister filter and no specific one.

I called both WIX and FRAM and they only list wheeled vehicles, compressors, etc. In this case no boats and no Albin 27 or LD28.

I guess the Napa 1452 thats on it is probably correct then, but nothing that I can use to verify it is recommended. All filter manufacturers give substitutes but recommend checking with the application manufacturer for their specific recommendation.

With all of the postings about the difficulties in finding parts I wanted to do all I could to maximize its life and minimize potential problems. Even the filter is a challange. Thanks for the replies! Guess I will replace witn what is on it and hope for the best.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

NAPA Gold is allegedly better than NAPA silver. Regular oil changes are better than not. Oil change at end of season, fresh oil in crankcase over winter, greatly reduces acids left in old oil. Today's oils surpass yesterday's, just be sure it's the right one. My PO swore me to allegiance to his oil regime. 40W Delo 100. Only his brain had a bit of dyslexia. Book and ancient VP guru in Seattle set me aright. 15W40, Delo 400. Delo 100 is for TWO STROKE engines. And 15W40 did not exist in 1973. No wonder the engine barely spun with the starter.

Good oil.
Filter at each change. (Many suggest priming the filter before installing. Hard to do if filter installs horizontally.)
Rigorous schedule adherence.
Run that baby.

Can't wait to see it.
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hobbit »

Well I settled on a Mobil 1 filter equivalent to the Napa Gold 1452. The Wix 51452 and Napa Gold 1452 are apparently both made by Dana. The Mobil 1 has slightly heavier filtration media and a somewhat better backflow seat according to an online blog (who know?).

Fired it is yesterday and was somewhat un impressed compaired the the Volvo 2030 in my Albin 25. It started harder and was much louder. On the other hand it has only 1500 hours since new and less than 100 since partial rebuild. The engine had seized due to water leaking back from the exhaust ports. I suspect the rings have not even re seated after rebuild hence the harder starts. After it warmed up it was much smoother and quieter. I expect after a few hundred hours it will be better on both counts. Ran it for an hour to warm it enough to change the oil but the temp only got to 140 degrees. May have to check the thermostat.

Give us a call Rick. Look forward to having you see it. This month is busy but Dec and Jan there is little else to do. It rains everyday! You still havd my number? If not I will text you.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

I use Napa Gold 1515 and Shell Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil in my LD28. PO used a Fram PH8A. I believe the manual only lists old Nissan part numbers but I would have to look, the manuals for this engine are in the library section.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com is a great site to find equivalent filters.

I made the choice to go to the 1515 after pouring through the Nissan diesel website. You may have already found this but lots of talk about filters here:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?p=7106

Obviously change regularly (I change yearly or every 50hr), use good oil (diesels are rough on it), priming the filter is a nice thing to do and easy with our mostly vertical mount.

Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”