• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1987 Volvo Penta TAMD 60C Maintenance

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: East Boston, MA

1987 Volvo Penta TAMD 60C Maintenance

Post by jackmarble »

I just bought a 48' North Sea Cutter on July. The boat was surveyed by a marine surveyor and by a Volvo specific engine surveyor. I was on board for sea trials, as were both surveyors, I watched them and asked questions the entire time the surveys were going on.

There was some mandatory maintenance identified by the engine survey which were included as conditions of acceptance...

To shorten a really long story the maintenance ended up turning into repairs - aftercoolers and heat exchangers are cracked and failed pressure tests.

We are being told that parts are hard to find and that it will cost $22,000.00 for everything. How much sense does it make to drop that kind of money into engines this old? Especially since I am being told that parts are hard to come by, what happens in two years when I need to repair something else and can't find the parts?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”