• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

how many hours can you get out of a 4d61

Albin's "power cruisers"
Icculus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Penetanguishine ontario

how many hours can you get out of a 4d61

Post by Icculus »

I am new to Albins having recently purchased hull 51 with the original 4d61 in it. This boat, which is in fine shape, has over 8600 original hours on the original motor. She starts like a champ, and we just did a 10 hour day on her last weekend through the locks from Orillia to Penetang (Ontario). Does anyone have any idea how many hours I can squeeze out of this motor? More importantly, can anyone tell me the signs I should be looking for that the motor is on her last legs? An oil analysis at 8000 hours came up clean. It took me two years to find this boat and I LOVE it! I will re-power when the time is right, but don't want to get stuck in the middle of Georgian Bay. Any tips or help would be appreciated.
AUL27151C484
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: how many hours can you get out of a 4d61

Post by kerrye »

I'm pretty sure those 4d61's are still being rebuilt. There was a thread with info on it recently. But the solution to your middle of Georgian Bay problem is to put an outboard on a drop down bracket on the stern, then you can always get home.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Icculus wrote:Does anyone have any idea how many hours I can squeeze out of this motor? More importantly, can anyone tell me the signs I should be looking for that the motor is on her last legs? An oil analysis at 8000 hours came up clean.
How long any engine lasts is directly tied to how well it is maintained. If your 8600 hour engine was in a Peugeot car which had averaged 35 miles an hour over it's life, you would have an engine with 300,000 miles on it. I suspect there are more than a few taxi's in Paris with twice that many miles. The fact that your 8,000 hour oil analysis came up OK is a good sign - It means you don't have any abnormal bearing wear, which is what would necessitate a complete rebuild. With your 8600 hours, you can expect to need a rebuild of the injection pump anytime now and when that happens, take the injectors in too and see if they need to be rebuilt. Those are the only 'major' components other than bearings which will eventually need replacement or rebuilding. Here's hoping you're still going strong at 10,000 hours - I'd say you have a pretty good chance

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

These threads make me very happy. My little 3760 hour 4D61 just got a new raw water pump and a new engine water pump. I figure if I keep replacing things as I find replacements, fairly soon I'll have a new engine. Just found Pistons, rings, head gasket and bearings on eBay. Have replaced every hose, new thermostat, reconditioned the heat exchanger.... Getting ready to dremel with a brass brush.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

There is interesting information on this web site
http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co ... ngines.php

They talk about how to keep the engine sweet , and particularly the injection system .
Not idling when cold and advice for marine use.
Sure they are trying to send head rebuilds but it's worth reading.
I will be putting some new injectors in and get the old reworked.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Here is the bit about marine engines from the link

When the indenor ( Peugeot) is used in its marinised guise of the Volvo Penta M21 engine, although it's revs are often at the lower end of the rev scale the load of a propellor is reatively light at these engine speeds. Also when the Injection system requires maintenance it tends to smoke more, which on a slow moving Boat is a quite a nusiance. So boat owners tend to keep the Injection system in top condition with regular servicing. All helping this engine build an exceptional reputation amongst Boat owners.
We know of one owner specifying a rebuilt 35 year old Indenor on his brand new built boat rather than install a new modern diesel.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

sail149 wrote:We know of one owner specifying a rebuilt 35 year old Indenor on his brand new built boat rather than install a new modern diesel.
That was a financial decision, plain and simple. If I was looking for an engine for a new boat, I would be looking for lightweight, fuel efficient and easy to find parts for and the 4D61 doesn't make the cut in any of those areas

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

When I drove over the road trucks we routinely saw a million miles on an engine. Clean fuel, oil and coolent, regular maintenance an filter changes. The marine environment is a tough one. Give it good care and put 10,000 more on it. Many truckers would have a repair and replacement fund, adding so much per hour run, they when the time for either happened it was not a financial burden. Thanks, Mark.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Don is being a pessimist.... you can find almost all the parts for the 4D61 on the internet.... type Peugeot 504 diesel on eBay. Everything from soup to nuts. The other angle on these things is the ease by which a machine shop can bring any particular part back to life. At the end of the day it is a low revving workhorse that has proved itself over time. One of my friends just came back from India where they use the same block in Indian manufactured CJ-5s. There are quite literally thousand and thousands of them out there. I too was looking army 4D61 with a jaundiced eye. The more research I did, the better I felt. Insofar as the noise.... I used dynamat throughout the entire engine compartment.... all I have is a low rumble at speed. BTB you can also still obtain rebuild manuals and maintenance manuals by googling for the Peugeot 2112cc diesel. The 4D61 is also attached to the cheapest Albin 27s... If you get one that was maintained you are all set.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”