• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 propeller

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

A25 propeller

Post by WillieC »

Just got the bad news from Tacoma Prop. Mine has too much electrolysis for repair. I suppose I am looking for a spare laying around that is in better shape than the one I have. TP is pricing a new one and I can hardly wait.

It has some info stamped on it, Osborne 17x13 14.10.93, LH(M?)B, 14lbs. The handbook calls out 17x14. The shaft is the original 30 mm, taper with keyway.

I am also chasing down the stock cutlass bearing through Albinmotor.com from a lead posted here a couple years ago. Good info.

Any advice would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A25 propeller

Post by Beta Don »

Since you've already found a rebuilder who knows what they're doing, show him this one and see what he says

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michigan-Wheel- ... Im&vxp=mtr

Might turn out to be an economical solution, who knows?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Pics show 17x16, so maybe it has already been tweaked to 14. And it shows 1-14" shaft. Not sure how much magic Tac prop can work. I imagine metric shaft taper and SAE taper are different enough to warrant carrying two paddles while asea.
Thanks for info. ra
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My boat came with a spare prop. The one on the boat now is RH 16 X 12, but for some reason or other previous owners had this extra one on hand, stamped "Federal Equi Poise 17RH13" & what I assume is a date stamp "7 85". 1.25 in X 1.0 taper shaft opening (31.75 x 25.4 mm) with a plastic tapered split bushing that is 1" x 3/4" ID (25.4 x 19 mm). I'm not sure why or when they went with the smaller prop or maybe just got this one for a spare, but I get 6.5 kts with my Yanmar 3GM30F turning at 2,350 RPM.

I think you're looking at probably +/-$200 for a used one or +/-$500 for a new one.

Deep Blue Yacht Supply has this one from Michigan Wheel for $526, made to order new in 5 to 6 weeks.

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/17- ... ade-bronze
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I`m on the other side of the pond to you guys but to me USD500 is a lot of money for a 16 inch prop made to order. Here T Norris.co.uk are 245 english pounds for a 3 blade ready to go. Tapers here go 1:12 or 1:10 (metric) Ive used Norris a few times and they have been good.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

DesertAlbin736 wrote:I think you're looking at probably +/-$200 for a used one or +/-$500 for a new one.
Every now and then you get lucky. I found a prop on eBay advertised as 'decorative' and he had 3 pictures of it. Careful examination of the photos showed that it was a 17 X 9 Michigan wheel, RH and 1 1/4 shaft. Opening bid was $75 and no one else bid on it but me, probably because of the 'decorative' description. When I got it, it turns out to be brand new, never mounted on a boat. Oddly, Michigan Wheel doesn't show this prop pitched lower than 11. I took it to a guy who works for a prop shop in New Orleans and he looked it over and told me the throat of the blades was in the 12 range and it would be really easy to repitch it from 9 to whatever I liked. I chose 12 - Cost was $150, so for $225 I have a brand new Michigan Wheel 17 X 12 which indeed does list for about $550

I learned something else. Even brand new props don't usually have all three blades at the exact pitch advertised - They routinely vary by 1/8th or so plus or minus the number stamped on them . . . . and a good prop service can do much better than that

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thanks for all the good info. Here's my update. Tacoma prop basically doesn't mess with metric props. They suggested conversion to 'Merican. Which I will probably do if/when I repower. This engine runs too good for that right now, however the RB transmission appears to be the main source of all the drive racket. Don't know if it is getting worse or if they were always noisy, straight cut gears, austere European heritage, what...

Tacoma quoted me $745 for a new SAE propeller not including mods to the shaft. Osborne, whose stamp is on the original prop wasn't even interested in pricing one and sent me to Kruger and Sons in Seattle. Awaiting their reply, hoping for a stock item, and all the children to live in perfect peace and harmony. I have a couple feelers out for used ones, but may end up putting it all back together, perhaps with a new cutlass from Albinmotors in Sweden. At 1600 rpm through a 1.87 gear reduction, I do not see this prop falling into the canal in the immediate future. But I sure would like to quiet things down. The Cartalk guys would advise turning the radio up.

245 English pounds is about 350 USD. I like that, but am unschooled on import duties. $500 from Michigan wheel is the best I have seen so far. Will have to verify metric and details with them.

My spare engine with 3000 fewer hours on it has the MS transmission on it. Am told it runs, it has antifreeze in it, has been stored inside. Still turns over by hand. I think I could get it running in a few days. Anybody know if the MS and RB transmissions are interchangeable? The boat engine is MD3B, the spare is MD17. Can't believe a repower may be necessary if the tranny is tanking, then again it is a BOAT.

Thanks EVERYBODY or weighing in. ra WillieC
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

0% duty according to this chart. http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-i ... oat-parts/

I've imported car parts from Europe without duty.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”