• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 thermostat location?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Re: Albin 27 thermostat location?

Post by Vic K »

Have you tried Ebay?
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Have you tried Ebay?
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

There is one on ebay part number 216- 180 that looks a lot like the one you want. $16 and change
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

My mistake that was on Parts Geek. A sponsored link from ebay.
Sorry,
Vic
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Here are the "alternates" according to internet.

BGA CT5525
Valeo 819856

These last two don't have the "throat" but are cited as alternates:

Gates TH06177G1
Valeo 819899

It appears the first two have diameters of 55mm and HT of 27mm

On a brighter note: I just purchased one of each of the first two from the UK eBay site. I'll let everyone know if the match the pipe. Interestingly enough, the web cites the 1967 Peugeot 404 as using the Motorad 238-170. When you chase down alternatives you come up with the first two above.

Note2: the indenor.de page uses the same exact illustrations from the LEHMAN Parts ID book. Worst case scenario you just get the parts there. Volvo Marineparts Europe uses them as well. MD21b engine. Everything the same except for cooling system....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

Sprig1
I had some luck with the thermostat hose and cooling system tank cap. The cap I found is identical to the one on my engine. It is 4#, same as my original one. It is also available in higher pressure. The thermostat hose is the identical shape, with 2 1/4" on one side and 2" on the other. It just has to be cut off to the correct length on both ends.

Cap-----NAPA--- 703-1419---------$7.63
Hose----O'Reilly--- Gates #20431--------------$16.99

I have tried every source for a thermostat listed on AOG and internet stuff like ebay and internet auto parts houses... No luck.
My next step is to try to fabricate one with a 2 1/4" stainless tube and a 2 1/4" diameter thermostat. I think that will work, but I will not be able to test it for a few months. I'm open to other suggestions or sources for new thermostats.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Albin with new cap,neck and recovery bottle installed.jpg
Albin with new neck and cap to be installed.jpg
Reo,

You might consider updating the the cooling system cap. There is a replacement kit that has a smaller cap with a blow by bottle. It's very simple to install.
Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks Reo I'll check it out at napa tomorrow. Thanks so much
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Vic: where did you get the kit? Bomac said "nope"
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

I believe it was American Diesel 804 435 3107. Others on this site have added this update so in case this info is not correct they will make it right. It was a simple install and the new cap is easier to handle. I like the idea of having a blow by container.

Vic
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

The cooling system is back together. I found replacement hoses by taking the originals to helpful guys at a few local auto parts stores.
I plan to flush the system and check for leaks in the next few days. But, here is my next question. What kind of antifreeze should I use.
There is red stuff in there now. I would love to switch to green or any other color so I can quickly determine if I have a coolant or diesel leak.
The different coolants seem to be for wet or dry sleeve engines. Which coolant is best for the Peugeot?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

REO wrote:What kind of antifreeze should I use.
There is red stuff in there now. I would love to switch to green or any other color so I can quickly determine if I have a coolant or diesel leak.
The different coolants seem to be for wet or dry sleeve engines. Which coolant is best for the Peugeot?
The primary advantage to the red stuff is it reduces dissimilar metals corrosion. If your coolant comes into contact with cast iron, brass, bronze, copper and other metals the least 'noble' of the bunch starts getting eaten away. Yanmar has required the red stuff in all their engines for many years

That said, you have a 40 year old engine designed in the 1960's when the green stuff was all there was, which has probably lived most of it's life with the green stuff in it and hasn't collapsed into a pile of corrosion, so the odds of it happening in the near future seem pretty slim. I would go with whatever you like and not worry too much about it

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”