• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Out with the old, in with the new..

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Out with the old, in with the new..

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just finished the DC wiring portion of my latest project.

Photo 1: Old DC distribution panel (behind door in head compartment). Can you tell which is (+) & which is (-)?

Photo 2: Updated arrangement, with (-) buss bar and (+) wires separate with terminal block connections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Out with the old, in with the new..

Post by rnummi »

That looks quite professional! Want a free trip to Florida to do mine?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Want a free trip to Florida to do mine?
Thanks, but this was only part of the project & still much more to do, including the main event, installing a larger holding tank where the batteries used to be, so I'm still busy working on stuff. One of these days would like to make a trip to Florida to visit an elderly aunt in Panama City, and my half-brother in Fort Pierce who does boat wiring at the Pursuit Boats factory.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

So crucial to have a logical route for the wires. Helps so much in fault finding. Good job.
When I had my sailboat surveyed one of the items was that every positive feed off the battery had to be fused within 6" of the terminal. When the coastguard carried out a snap inspection on the water that was one of the items that was checked. The CG comment was 'Well thats almost the first time I've seen that complied with on an old boat!'
Not easy to achieve without inline fuses (what I did) but fuses floating around in mid air is not so good in my view. Better to have them fixed to a bulkhead and protected. But then where is a bulkhead within 6" of most positive terminals? My battery is nearly a foot wide to start with!
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Update: Photos of the distribution panels.

Old AC shore power entrance (back side of the helm station:
DSCN3366.JPG
Old mess removed, replaced with galvanic isolator in that location (click image to see on correct rotation)
DSCN3407.JPG
New Blue Sea Systems SI-ACR relay with ANL fuses, new Blue Sea Systems double pole ELCI AC breaker panel with separate circuits & breakers for outlets & charger, ProNautic 12-15P on board charger, & 2 bank smart solar panel controller with AGM charging profile.
DSCN3410.JPG
Another view of the helm station. Behind & to the left of the wheel is a digital meter that goes with the solar controller. Gives digital readouts of panel volts and amps output plus actual, minimum, & maximum volts of each battery bank, as well as total amp hours charged. DC panel to the right of the wheel has switches for GPS, instruments, cabin lights, running lights, bilge pump, and anchor lights. Secondary DC panel below and to the left of the wheel has three circuits, one for windshield wiper, one for cigarette lighter outlet, one for spreader lights for sailing rig (not used), plus volt meter with momentary toggle switch that can measure house battery & start battery voltage separately.
DSCN3411.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Albin engine (1).jpg
I think the hardest part of my redo of the 27 was to take a pair of dikes and cut out every piece of wire on the boat and the engine.
Vic
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

That's spectacular. Did you custom make the new helm station?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Not sure I understand what you are asking. Everything was rewired and all panels replaced with new.
Vic
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Vic what 12 volt electric pannel is that?
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

The one with engine gauges...
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Both were custom built by a friend in the business. There are two separate battery switches in the 12 volt panel instead of the customary ' 1 -2- Both switch'. I don't believe you could see in the instrument panel photo but there is no key. There is an 'on /off' slider , then 'preheat' momentary ,then a momentary ignition.
Since the 4D61 ( I understand) is an automotive engine, its shuts down through the ignition and not from compression release , so to kill the engine you slide the on/off stitch to off. I lost an ignition key once for a boat I had and haven't liked keys on boats since.
Vic

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”