• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

exhaust refit on '72 A25

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Learnasugo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Port Moody

exhaust refit on '72 A25

Post by Learnasugo »

so the old Elastomuffle!! (yes that's right) is no longer available and I'm looking to refit the wet exhaust in our 1972 A25.

I'm learning about waterlock mufflers and goosenecks (both required though no evidence of such a rig previously installed) Having trouble finding a smallish muffler with 2" connection: IN on low side; OUT on the top or high-side. The through-hull exhaust outlet is at the waterline; engine outlet slightly above.

To save the aft cabin from such an unsightly rig, I am forced to run both the muffler and gooseneck to the starboard side in the under-bench stowage compartment where the manual bilge pump can also be found. (then its a straight run aft under the sleeping berth)

Did anyone out there solve this problem already. any ideas or photos!?

Thanks for looking.
Sincerely,
'Exhausted'
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: exhaust refit on '72 A25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Exhausted:

I have a 1971 A25 that was repowered years ago with a Yanmar engine (installation in 1992 by 3rd owner previous to me) . Yanmar exhaust manifold is on the starboard side, and the muffler and tailpipe outlet is on port, so the rubber flex exhaust hose has to cross over behind and above the transmission. I'll have to take some pictures and post it & see what the muffler brand is. That's about all I can tell you at this point.

As an aside, speaking of your BC location and the Georgia Strait, do you have any knowledge of or connection with Albineers Of BC? Their website doesn't have any new 2016 calendar events posted yet as far as I can see. We have plans to haul our A25 "La Dolce Vita" up to Bellingham this summer an cruise up through the Gulf Islands and Strait of Georgia maybe as far as Desolation Sound. Would love to drop in on one of their rendezous if possible. We were up in the Gulf Islands in 2014 and love it up there & can't wait to get back again. Also debating if taking the truck, boat, & trailer on the Washington State Ferry over to Sydney or Victoria and driving up Vancouver Island to somewhere like Nanaimo or points North that has a good boat ramp and vehicle storage and launch from there. Or drive up the mainland side and launch from somewhere in your neck of the woods?

Steve from Arizona
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Years ago I did a full refit on an old boat, not an Albin, and needed a wet silencer and goose neck to fit a strange set up in the aft cabin. I could not purchase what I wanted so I made my own. I got some strong mesh wire, shaped it to the shapee I wanted, welded in an in and out pipe of the size I wanted, then covered it with woven fibre glass and resin. There was bends and turns much like the bought units. It lasted me over 15 years and was still on the boat when I sold it. As far as I know its still going. On my present Albin 25 the exhaust temperature normally runs at between 20 - 28 degrees C.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

OK, here's the Vernalift muffler I have on my '71 A25, installed circa 1992.

Website for that company with product listing:

http://www.centekindustries.com/vernaliftfig3.html

The part # on mine, 1300209 is not listed, but they give dimensions of their current inventory.

There are other brands on the market of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Learnasugo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Port Moody

Post by Learnasugo »

Desert Albin
thank you!! for your reply. i have looked at the centek website and may end
up going that route if I can find one that fits nicely (tough to know until
you have it in hand).
I see that you have the adequate drop from the exhaust manifold. Ours is
tight. I keep hearing that we need a gooseneck because the rig is close to
(and sometimes below) the water line. so we've decided to start with the
goose neck and 'cut in' the muffler if still needed (it's a good long run
before exiting at the transom)
As for the Albineers of BC, I'm not sure. As a 'newbie' myself I am not yet
acquainted. They have events listed on their website up until November
2015. I'm sure there will be something up there soon for the coming season.
I'm not as familiar either with the island as a starting point. Everything
of interest to me is somewhere in between and certainly accessible from the
mainland. The west coast of Vancouver Island is a completely different body
of water!!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”