• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Factory Sea Cock?

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Factory Sea Cock?

Post by rnummi »

Thanks Don... That's what I'll do. I also took a few shots of the exterior through hulls... I didn't see any screws to remove them..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

The screws are small and not very long - The go directly into the hull, but not all the way through. When you clean all the bottom paint off the bronze strainers, you'll see the screw heads. 4 of them on each strainer I think . . . . at least that's how it was on my boat

Looking closely at the photos, I think I see one screw head on each one - On the sloped one, it's at the top left, right above the little barnacle and on the spaghetti strainer I think I see one on the bottom right

Clean those up and when you do your bottom painting, clean out the holes with a drill bit (in your fingers) and the slots on the other one with a knife, otherwise the bottom paint can really restrict the water flow . . . . like it is now

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

Here's the seacocks on my boat

Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Don is that a wash down pump or a pump for air conditioning? Where is your discharge for the head? You have a generator to is that water cooled? What size is it and what type. You might of already told me but I forgot. When you get to the upper Chesapeake give me a shout.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

The electric pump is the raw water feed for the genset. The genset is a Phasor 2.2 KW with a single cylinder Kubota diesel running at 2,000 RPM. It's located just aft of the water heater. They no longer sell the 2.2 Kw version, but it's almost identical to this 3.5 Kw version - The smaller version runs the same engine slower (and quieter) and the larger version runs it faster, which makes more horsepower and thus more electricity as well. The engine and the alternator are the same

http://www.phasormarine.com/lp1-3-5kw.htm

The holding tank is farther aft, under the starboard lazarrette and the macerator and discharge thru hull is also located in that compartment

Hope to see you when we're on the Chesapeake! - We'll start a 'Cruising Thread' here on the forum when we get underway in a week or two, so all you guys will be able to keep up with where we are

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

What make/model sea strainer do you use? Man, that sure looks ship shape. Whatever was on starboard side of mine was removed (holding tank?) for the generator. What are the PVC pipes for? I have the starboard laz available. Can you shoot me a couple of pics of your waste tank mount?

Thanks....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

The one on the left is a Perko for the engine and is original to the boat. I installed the Groco unit on the right

The starboard platform on my boat was empty - No holding tank and no water heater. I glassed a piece of 3/4 plywood on top of it as a base for the genset. It and the water heater barely fit together under there with nary an inch to spare. The port side was empty too - No water tank

The PVC pipes on the bulkhead are for freshwater, one hot and one cold leading to the shower

At this point, a photo of the starboard lazarrette compartment where the holding tank resides is not possible - That compartment is so stuffed there's no room left to see anything. The Todd 20 gallon tank lies flat on the bottom, tucked as close as possible to the fuel tank. The tank is 30" long and the compartment is about 33" long, so there's just enough room for the 1 1/2" plumbing fittings on the front of the tank. The hose from the head enters on the top, the deck pump-out exits on the bottom and has a Tee in it which goes to the input of the macerator, which is mounted on the forward bulkhead, as is the 40 amp battery charger. I put some tapered spacers under the tank so that the forward end of it is the lowest, so it will empty as much as possible. Between the holding tank and the side of the hull there is a custom 12 gallon aluminum diesel tank for the genset which fills 98% of the remaining space. An A/C unit for the aft cabin is above the holding and diesel tanks. There's enough room on top of the holding tank to store dock lines and the spare anchor rode and maybe a fender or two

Installing the holding tank the way I did it was quite a project. Very precise holes had to be drilled in the bulkhead in exactly the correct location for it all to go together - Several of these sorts of projects took me a month or more of my 'spare' time - The genset 'project' took a couple of months. Rewiring the boat took a couple months and it's still not 100% finished . . . . I spent a couple hours on more wiring just today. The plumbing (installing twin 15 gallon water tanks, hoses, pump lines, water heater etc took another couple months . . . . all spread over the last 2 1/2 years. The lions share by far though was spent removing the 4D61 and installing the Yanmar, with custom motor mounts, new controls, new panel, new fuel pump/filtration system, etc, etc

I thought it *might* take a year . . . . it took more than 3, and I began it all about 12 years ago

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Don let me live in My fantasy world thinking I will be done by next summer. I don't know if I can handle the truth. I can't wait to see your boat when you come by. I have everything ripped out of mine. Is your hot water heated of the motor or just the gen set?
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think one of your early posts was "pick one job at a time, get it done, move to the next" I've taken that as my new philosophy. When you stop and look at what's next.... it seems like a long road. To quote Don or you: Just get enough done to get it in the water. I shifted focus from finishing pilothouse to finishing below the waterline. I figure if I can get it floating (w/o sinking) all else will follow. Engaged a new slip at St. Petersburg Municipal Marina.... one of the few covered ones so I'm not solely worried about deck/pilothouse integrity. I'm now paying close attention to the posts concerning sea cocks, through hulls, rudder housing, etc. etc. all things that once it's in the drink, I can't address till another haul out. Keep up the good work.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”