• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Annapolis Yacht Club Fire

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Annapolis Yacht Club Fire

Post by loubennett »

I'm sure most of you have heard about the fire at Annapolis Yacht Club on Saturday. I belong to Eastport Yacht Club a short distance away and we are all saddened by this event. Fortunately it happened while AYC was closed and only staff were there preparing for a big party that evening. There were no injuries to their staff and one firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the fire. A few hours later, they would have been packed and the result may have been much worse.

At EYC, the fire caused the city to cancel our annual Lights Parade and our efforts switched to figuring out how we could help AYC in their time of need. Already several events have been shifted to our clubhouse beginning with the "halftime" lunch for the AYC frostbite races yesterday. We are also working to see how we can accommodate their members in our bar and restaurant until they can secure some temporary quarters. It will likely take a year or two for them to rebuild.

It was a sad day in Annapolis, especially for those of us in the yachting community. A day that is normally a holiday celebration enjoyed by the whole city, turned to tragedy for our friends at Annapolis Yacht Club.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “General Discussion”