• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat Lift Problem - Albin 28 PH

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boat Lift Problem - Albin 28 PH

Post by Yearwood »

We had a 12,500 lift installed around 2013. The aft system carries most of the load. Earlier this year while raising the boat, the aft spool broke while the boat was near the top and the boat fell into the water stern first. I tried to restrain the boat with my right hand but found I am no longer as strong as I once (thought I) was. There was no damage to the boat which the wind blew nicely alongside an open pier space. About three weeks ago the forward spool began to wobble and the lifting process was stopped. Service was called and the tech said that if it had rotated one more turn it would have broke. In this case the newly painted boat would have gone head first into the walkway. See the photo of the spool attached.

The service company said these failures were due to abrasion of the spool by the stainless wire removing the galvanized coating followed by rusting of the spool. Failure was near a welded joint as one would expect.

It may be worthwhile checking similar lifts when the unit is all the way down.

Also, after checking their web site I see the service company manufactures a stainless steel spool.

Regards

Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”