• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Headliner options

Albin's "power cruisers"
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Headliner options

Post by sail149 »

Hi
I lost track of where we were discussing options for this .(let me know if it should go somewhere else and I'll move it)
I was looking for a fabrics to add to the the twin wall product Coroplast ( used by post office for boxes etc).
And then use for bendable panels for a head liner.

So I found this stretchy felt/velour/ carpet type product used for van conversions in the UK .
It's so stretchy it will go over a wheel well in one piece! See photo.
http://www.megavanmats.com
These guy seem to have the better quality products but unfortunately it's a UK business and they don't ship to USA.
They have it on ebay uk.
I've tried to find it in a USA source but no luck yet. Alternate uk sources but nothing that is stretchy like this.

Does anybody else know anything about similar products.?
I think it could be an option for all the curves you find when you pull down the head liner in the A27!
FYI it also meet the fire resistant requirement of the EU too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Headliner options

Post by JT48348 »

Personally, I'm against fabrics as a headliner. I think they attract dirt and mold. A headliner should be a clean surface that can be wiped down. An exception would be indoor outdoor carpet for a budget/ultility look. And that goes directly onto rough fiberglass.

The idea of a backboard plus a fabric covering seems like double work. Not only do you need to make the backing board pattern but then you need to overlay that and then attach it to the boat.

Why not go with a single headliner panel or several panels held in place by battons and trim?

Corroplast while a good product is not what I would choose. You want thin Sintra or Celltec. It's very cheap. $40-60 for a 4x8' sheet. It's flexible. You can heat form it over curves and complex shapes with a heat gun. It's paintable, easily cleaned, water proof, and already has a satin finish.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Hi Warren, If you really decide on the 'van mat' route then I could buy it for you and post it on.
Same goes for other (legal - haha) stuff too.
Roger

edit - ps
I must say that I personally prefer removable panels so that I have access to the hull/deck.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi guys
I agree removable panels is best . However the A27 does have some unique shapes that this might be useful espically if you have removed the liner and want to slightly soften some of the curvy surfaces.
Really I was looking for coroplast with the carpet coating already on it. My us/Mexico build utility van has panels made this way. I'm sure they did it as it was cheap but also practical . The automotive guy are so far ahead of the boat guys we can learn from them.
I don't know if it's the right product but I can see where it could work. The coroplast type product is very cheap and almost indestructible , check out #202489118 from the orange box store online, 10 sheets 48x96 x 5/32" for $110.00!
It's light enough that you might be able to just screw large sheet/sections to the inside skin of the deck /hull or glued on strips. Just thinking out loud.....thin carpet coating might give an instant finished appearance.
But if your going to do all that work....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”