• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Skegs on 27FC? Retrofit question (reposted from other forum)

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Skegs on 27FC? Retrofit question (reposted from other forum)

Post by DCatSea »

"Mazboot" is a 1984 27FC without a skeg to afford protection to the prop. Has anyone retrofitted one of these? If so, any tips on best ways to do it would be welcomed. If you have pictures or specs to share you would make me a very happy camper. (Going to be doing some gunk-holing in the Bay, and hitting the Ditch in 2016, and would like the protection a skeg provides.)

Thanks to all at AOG for continuing to provide great ideas and information.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Skegs on 27FC? Retrofit question (reposted from other fo

Post by eseyoung »

I am not sure what you mean when you say 'Skeg'? the 27 comes with a complete keel which protects the prop. some (those with a metal rudder) came with a 'shoe' that connected the rudder with the keel...is that what you are talking about?

Here is a picture of 'Free State' owned by a member here, as you can see the keep gives adequate prop protection.

She has the fiberglass rudder, others had a board running between the rudder and the keel. I don't know if that would give any additional prop protection but does give the rudder a second attachment point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Since you are in Deale, next time you are there, go into Herrington Harbor North. Not far in on your right is a 27 on the hard that is for sale. You can take pictures and look at the setup. I am pretty sure it has the keel and will look myself the next time down.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks to both eseyoung and Carl.

eseyoung - I think that the shoe is the same as the skeg I am looking to retrofit. I have seen a pic. of a 27 with the shoe/skeg. I see the point about additional support for the rudder. I believe Free State used to be "smacksman's" boat ( a fellow Brit) Thanks for the pic. it not only demos tbe keel, but also provides a good template for a new bimini frame.

Carl - thanks for the heads-up on the Herrington 27FC for sale. I will certainly look in there when I go down on Monday.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

DCatSea wrote:I think that the shoe is the same as the skeg I am looking to retrofit. I have seen a pic. of a 27 with the shoe/skeg.

For clarification:

The"Skeg" is the bar that runs from the keel to the "Shoe". The "Shoe" is attached to the end of the "Skeg" and supports the rudder post.

I hope that helps. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

That does help...

I always thought of a skeg kinda like fixed rudder...as in a vertical member to stabilize yaw movement.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Carl
Went to Herrington today and was able to see the SC for sale. Very nice. The skeg is exactly what I was looking for, and may well be a fairly easy do-able modification.
Thanks for the heads up.
(BTW - asking price is 29K for this one)

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

Glad you were able to get by there, I am going down on Saturday and was going to take pics if you had not been by. Good luck with your project!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Carl et al,

Here are the pics I took of the skeg on this particular 27.
I am coming out of the water next week (trip to West Coast makes early "out" imperative.) and will be seriously looking at adding a skeg to "Mazboot", (One more winter job on the list - but isn't that why we have boats?)
Also adding a full width swim platform.
IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

When we bought Isabel she had a rotted timber skeg. Seemed like a bad idea to replace with something else that would rot so instead replaced it with aluminum box beam since it is hollow was concerned that bolts to the keel would crush it so filled that end with epoxy. Don't know if that is really an issue, but now have a skeg that should last a lot longer than I will.

John VB
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

John - thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures? Would love to see this.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I have the wooden a keg like what's pictured. I'm considering adding stainless angle iron to the side edges to protect bottom edges and coating in epoxy. I'd like to see the box beam solution also
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

johnvb1014 wrote:When we bought Isabel she had a rotted timber skeg. Seemed like a bad idea to replace with something else that would rot so instead replaced it with aluminum box beam since it is hollow was concerned that bolts to the keel would crush it so filled that end with epoxy. Don't know if that is really an issue, but now have a skeg that should last a lot longer than I will.
Aluminum isn't a very noble metal for underwater use, especially in salt water - In fact, aluminum is used as a sacrificial metal (like zinc) to protect other more noble metals like stainless and bronze. Coating it with epoxy and then painting it would afford some protection, but since the inside of the box is open to the water, I suspect it will rot out fairly quickly, since you can't protect the inside with paint

The teak one lasted 30 years . . . . I really doubt the aluminum one will be able to half match that

Early FC's didn't have the skeg at all. I added one to my '84 FC but I made it out of stainless. Through bolted at the keel with 3 bolts and an epoxied backing plate - My arm was just long enough to the nuts on the inside of the keel, reaching down through the access plate in the aft cabin floor

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Great looking bronze skeg.
Mine is a stainless u- channel with a hugh anode bolted in the space in the underside.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”