• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to slide back the drive shaft on Albin 27

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: How to slide back the drive shaft on Albin 27

Post by JT48348 »

Further research, I think this explains how it's assembled. I'm bettering there's a locking collar that spins off. But I didn't see a hole but could have been hidden.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rLP-p4R3pg
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

No 'expertise' here, so take this for what it's worth, but I seriously doubt that bearing has anything to do with the shaft not wanting to move aft. There is apparently no access to that bearing without removing the fuel tank and cutting a hole in the boat. The shaft needs to be removed from time to time - It's very hard to change the cutless bearing without removing the shaft, so I doubt that Albin would make it next to impossible to remove the shaft by putting a retaining clip on that intermediate bearing

My early Albin 27 is quite different, but when I went to remove the shaft, it only moved aft a few inches before it got hung up. In my case it was marine growth on the shaft which kept the shaft from wanting to come out. My shaft runs inside a fiberglass tube from the bulkhead right behind the transmission all the way to the stern and the little scoops on either side of the cutless bearing keep that tube and the shaft surrounded by seawater, which gives marine critters a way to attach themselves to the shaft

Once the rudder was dropped, pulling the shaft fore and aft eventually dislodged the marine critters and allowed the shaft to come out - The cutless bearing scraped the critters free as I yanked the shaft aft

As I understand it, you 6 cylinder guys have a shaft packing back near the end of the keel. Is it possible you have a space between the cutless bearing and that packing gland which is open to the sea where marine critters can grow? I *think* Bill mentioned that the shaft did move aft a little before it stopped - That should eliminate the intermediate bearing as the problem here . . . . I think

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I was inclined to agree withDon.

However if you watch the video at about the 2 minute mark he explains the purpose of the locking collar which keeps the shaft moving fore and aft once it's applied.

If you zoom in on my Aft close up photo #1 you will see the locking collar and the hole referenced in the video. I think it's on the left at about 9 o clock?

The flange bearing would be accessible on our boats via the hatch in the floor of the aft cabin for the bilge and stuffing box. It's just easier to get photos from the hole in the deck by the tank. I think the holes was cut in my deck to replace or install the flange bearing at some point.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Wow, My '85 with the same engine and transmission does not have this flange shaft bearing...I'll ask one of the old timers at work if he has any experience with something like this...
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Silly question: it's not hanging up on your packing seal bellow is it?
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Bill, I thought I sent a comment last night, but I don't see it here tonite. A pillow block like this has to have the inner bearing race locked to the shaft - usually accomplished with an allen head set screw in the collar. I don't see it here, but it could be hidden from our view. When I was looking at an '86 FC in Virginia a couple of years ago, I asked the owner what the pie plate access hatch in the cockpit sole was for and he had no idea. It was directly over a similar pillow block. The previous owner must have cut it out to access the pillow block. Good luck with this. Ben
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Bill
You say you have a mid bearing. This has to be your problem. JT photos show that the bolts that hold it in place are held with nuts welded to the backing plate so if you can get to the bolts you can loosen then without access to the back ( you say is hidden?) might need long socket set? If you can losen but not remove the bolts that hold the bearings you should be able to get some movement of the mid bearing attached to the shaft or rusted solid.
If this works then you will have to find a way to get to the back of the bearing (remove fuel tank?),or remove the bolts and slid the shaft and bearing back as one unit. , get Trans out and and see if it fixable and work on a solution to reattach the mid bearing.
Of course if the mid bearing is mounted on the forward side of the mini bulkhead this won't work.......which in retrospect it probably is otherwise you would see the backing plate and could not remove the bolts........
I think you will have to do some more disassembly of the boat and even cut holds in the floor?
Or have boat towed to the nearest proper boat yard?
I'm still surprised there is a mid bearing but JT's photos clearly shows they were used.......at least on some boats.....I'll have to get out my camera on a probe and have a look around!
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I've been researching and from my reading the purpose of a flange bearing is to provide support to extra long shafts and reduce vibration from long shafts falling out of alignment. It also reduces stress on the cutlass bearing.

I'm betting if you can figure out how to remove the locking collar the shaft and bearing will come right out. FYI my forward side of the flange bearing--the nuts are not welded. Just screwed on.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

JT48348 wrote:I've been researching and from my reading the purpose of a flange bearing is to provide support to extra long shafts and reduce vibration from long shafts falling out of alignment.
Our early model boats with the 4 cylinder engines have an even longer shaft than your 6 cylinder boats and we don't have a mid bearing
FYI my forward side of the flange bearing--the nuts are not welded. Just screwed on.
If you look closely at your third picture you can see that the nuts are indeed welded to the stainless backing plate

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Dohhh!!

I understand bearing envy is the scourge of your older generation. Don't be a hater.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

And you have the 4D61 engine and a mid bearing......right?
I so want the mid bearing but am do glad I don't!
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Maxsail
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Myers Florida

Post by Maxsail »

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and the photos. The aft shots look just like ours ... of course we haven't been able to see the forward side so these are quite interesting. We have really pounded on the forward flat side of the prop trying to get it to move rearward with no luck.. We are now in the process of trying to get an inspection camera in the small inspection cap opening in the deck for the fuel tank to see if we can see the front side of the bearing. I'd be surprised if they weren't the same as yours.
Again my thanks.
I'll keep in touch.
Bill
Maxsail
Mate
Mate

Post by Maxsail »

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and photos. Your aft shots look just like ours and of course we haven't been able to see our forward side yet so your photos have been very interesting. Our next action is to try to get an inspection camera down the fuel tank deck cap inspection hole to see if we can see the front of the bearing. I'd be surprised if it we different than yours. We have tried hammering the front flat side of the prop in a rearward direction to move the shaft rearward without success.
Thanks again for your input. I will keep in touch.
Bill
Maxsail
Mate
Mate

Post by Maxsail »

In our continuing saga of trying to slide the driveshaft rearward after separating it from the transmission so as to give clearance for the removal of the transmission from our Nissan 6 cyl engine, we have now reached a new impasse that no advisor has yet mentioned.
A brief background:
The shaft is 1 1/4" . It has been cleanly disconnected from the transmission. The stuffing box has been opened and the "cup" backed off approx 8". The bearing located on the bulkhead forward of the aft cabin beneath the fuel tank has been completely cleaned and relubricated and all "crud" that might inhibit movement removed.
When all these actions still failed to allow the rearward movement of the shaft (with severe persuasion) we loosened all four bolts that held the bulkhead bearing plate assembly in place with the thought of pushing the entire assembly rearward from the front of the shaft. With prybar on the head of the shaft we found that there was still something "mechanical" stopping the rearward movement before it even arrived at the bulkhead bearing. QUESTION Is there another more forward bearing or other unknown device hidden under the fuel tank as yet unidentified that is preventing the rearward movement? The rearward movement is not being prevented by corrosion or friction but by a hard mechanical "stop".
Again thanks for your input. Bill
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

My fuel tank and aft cabin are completely removed under my cockpit as in my photos. I don't know of anything else besides the cutlass bearing?

There's nothing else under the tank in the bilge.

Could the shaft be tapered? And it's the shaft binding in the cutlass bearing?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”