• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Handrails leaking

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Handrails leaking

Post by JT48348 »

I'm following you but I will go one better.

Why would you worry about relocating your aft cabin handrails, even if the purpose was to stop a leak, when you STILL have a disgusting moldy headliner covering other not-yet-discovered leaks and problems?

Ah ha, you still think you only have one leak....
Optimistic but unrealistic.

You will feel massively silly when you go through the effort of your fix--only to find a new leak down the road. Don't do it. The only way to fix leaks is to fix them all. Then you know everything is sealed and you will have confidence in your work.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Concur.... It looks so nice hanging up there though...... Ah well, fix once and done. Thanks
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Pulling the headliner is a no going back option. It was installed in the deck before it was mated with the deck.
, what is under neath is a mess and will take a lot of work to look nice and professional. If your ok with sanding and painting the raw fiberglass, pull the liner but it's not smooth. You wil see the screws holding the pilot house to the debt screws exposed , wires , and on and on.
I was able to pull the liner of the cabin sides and reach the bottom of the handrails. I had the same nasty fight JT had breaking the bolts out /off. My final decision. Is to not put the maintance heavy wood handrails back on.
I'm replacing with stainless steel rails.
Another thought for you is you don't have to leave the hand rail bolts hidden. You can let the bolts go thru the liner and cut them off to the right length and use a Nice acorn nut. Or even do the sailboat think and add an internal handrail to hid the bolts.
Remember on all things Albin 27 , you don't have to do it the way it was done before it was done cheaply. Think it thru and improve it.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Warren: I hadn't even considered your ideas. Brilliant!
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”