• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-power 1986 Albin 27 FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re-power 1986 Albin 27 FC

Post by Mark Deeser »

Am looking for imput, may be moral support on a re-power project. My Nissan LD 28 needs rebuild, injection pump also. The exhaust manifold is getting tired. I am currently looking at the Cummins 4B3 3-M. It is a 4 cyl producing 65 BPH @ 2600 rpm, dry weight 554 lbs, cost a little under 11k. Anyone have any exp. With this engine? One possible issue I see is exhaust is on right side of engine, Nissan is on left, not sure how much of a problem this will present. I know I will never recoup this cost, my intent is to keep boat, would like to do Loop. Would like any thoughts, good or bad. Ps Cummins offers a stainless steel exhaust mixing elbow for additional $650, sound worthwhile or not? Thanks for your input, Mark Deeser
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Re-power 1986 Albin 27 FC

Post by don123 »

I'm still finishing up my repower - Yanmar 4JH3-HTE turbo-intercooled 100 HP. I paid $10K for it completely rebuilt with about $7500 worth of new parts. Doing 100% of the install myself, I've probably spent another $1500 or so. New prop (probably should have changed the shaft too) new shaft coupling to match the new trans, motor mounts, exhaust hose, clamps etc. fuel pumps & filters, new shift cables, all new fuel hoses and a bit of electrical work. My engine came with the matching panel brand new. If I had paid someone to do the swap for me, I'm sure it would have run $5K at least

I was hesitant to put any money in my old 4D61 - I never cared for the fact that it's a marinized car/truck engine and finding parts for it was hit or miss at best when you're planning on something . . . . nearly impossible if you're broken down away from home

How bad is your LD28? I think you could probably do a very thorough rebuild for $5K or so and have a reliable engine for many years. New injectors for it are about $40 each, maybe $400 to $500 to have the injector pump restored to 'like new'. $400 or so for a custom welded stainless mixing elbow

I think if I had a running LD28 in my boat, I probably would have invested about half of what I spent rebuilding it instead of repowering. I just wasn't comfortable doing that with my Peugeot, so . . . . $11K or $12K and a ton of work later and that's all behind me. The wife says if we can do 6,000 miles on the loop without any problems, it will all have been worthwhile. We'll see

As to the Cummins. The 4B3 3.3 is a very different animal from any small Japanese marine diesel. Being a 3.3 liter 4 cylinder, it's going to vibrate a good bit more than any similar HP Japanese 4 cylinder - My 100 HP Yanmar is only 2.0 liters and is nearly as smooth as your 6 cylinder. In your case, you'll be going from a very smooth, relatively quiet 6 cylinder engine to a noisy, somewhat shaky 4 cylinder - I think it will be quite a change. If you're serious about the Cummins, I would definitely take the time to hear a couple of them run in person - At least one of them in a boat of some kind. You wouldn't want to be unpleasantly surprised after spending that kind of money

Good luck with your project! My quote to all my friends is . . . . "After spending about $40K and a couple years of work, I'm about to be the proud owner of a very nice $20K boat!"

Don
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Re-power 1986 Albin 27 FC

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thanks Don, i have rebuilt injectors, new glow plugs, just rebuilt starter, and a new water pump, that's the pluses. The negatives are bad valve seats, cracked cylinder liner, weak injection pump. Biggest issue seems to be exhaust. Manifold, not mixing elbow. The manifold is badly rusted, surveyor said to replace at my earliest opportunity. At this point I have been unable to find a replacement. Best quote I have for a reman from a good shop was $7800. Seems with reman cost, inj pump and cast iron exhaust manifold I would be close to re-power cost. Really appreciat your input. Thanks. Mark.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”