• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin on a Trailer; Impact to engine alignment??

Albin's "power cruisers"
lwight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Albin on a Trailer; Impact to engine alignment??

Post by lwight »

Has anyone suffered misalignment from storage on a trailer?
My trailer has two bunks (one on each side) that are about 2' off the keel. They seem to support my Albin 25 well, EXCEPT right at the engine where there's a 1/4" - 1/2" space between the bunks and the boat. I'm worried that this is translating into engine misalignment....
Larry Wight
Friday Harbor, WA
Albin 25 #2630
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Albin on a Trailer; Impact to engine alignment??

Post by don123 »

It's certainly possible to bend the hull by sitting it on a trailer for an extended period and a lot depends on the design and construction of the trailer - Happens all the time. Not all trailers are specifically designed for the vessel they are carrying. Many are a 'one size fits all' and they just change a few support pads here and there to make it 'fit' your boat. Experts recommend realigning the engine to the shaft after it has been back in the water for a month or two

I think any misalignment can be kept to a minimum by sitting 90% of the weight directly on the keel and only putting enough pressure on the side bunks to keep it stable, and to make sure the side bunks are putting their pressure directly on the boats bulkheads . . . . but that's just one opinion. I'll probably have another opinion after I launch my 27 which has been sitting on her trailer for a very long time

Don
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

My Albin 27 sits on a trailer year round when not in the water. For the last couple of years I've put about a 100 hours a year on the boat over a period of a month so has been on trailer at least 11 months per year. I have trailered my Albin 27 from Ontario to BC return (3000 miles each way) and have not (touch wood) had any alignment problems. By the end of this week I will complete the Great Loop and pull my A27 another 3000 miles back to BC. Roger
lwight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Post by lwight »

Roger,
First, hurry home!
Could you describe your trailer? The Albin 25 has such a narrow hull that there's only 'room' for two bunks (one on each side). What is the configuration for your trailer?
And Don, supporting the keel is a good idea. I'm going to explore it...
thanks everyone,
Larry
mcgypsea
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: pensacola

Post by mcgypsea »

Hello my name is Mike and we just bought a 1988 27 ft Albin and plan to trailer it, Can you send pictures and spec on you trailer to mcgypsea@juno.com thanks and looking forward to doing the loop next spring. any suggestion would be helpful about trailing it from my home in FL to NY to start out on the the loop. My Albin owners Group is mcgypsea

Thanks Mike :D :D
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Mike, I doubt if you'll find a trailer for a 27 that anyone wants to sell. I've been looking for about 2 years now, with no luck. I want one that was built specifically for our 27. I've been talking to Megan at Loadmaster trailers in Port Clinton, OH. They've built several for the 27 and have a great rep for quality. I was there about a month ago and they quoted me about $6600. I can't find one any cheaper, built anywhere near as well. Give her a holler online and she'll get back to you quickly. Ben
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Had this in my file.

Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”