• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Losing oil through top of oil filter

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Losing oil through top of oil filter

Post by Vic K »

FYI: Last Friday look a short run in the ' Mary Jo', my modified Albin 27 FC. After a short while the high temp/low oil pressure alarm started chirping and the oil pressure had dropped to 40. Tied up to a near by dock I found fresh oil on the right side of the 4D61. There was just enough oil left in the oil pan to leave a trace on the tip of the dipstick. What had happen is the metal pipe that's a part of the cooling system located above the oil filter had, through vibration and motion, worn a spot through the top of the filter that let oil escape.

What a mess. Luckily the oil stayed in the engine bed.

A barrier piece of tubing or rubber zipped tied to the pipe will take care of this from happening again.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: Losing oil through top of oil filter

Post by smacksman »

If the pipe is that close to the filter, how do you remove the filter?
I know it is pretty close on Free State but well clear of chafe.
Maybe your filter is a bit 'taller' than the filters I found. I know I had to hunt for oil filters and when I did source some I bought all their stock.
Well done for catching the temp rise early and avoiding damage. I remember meeting a delivery skipper in Brazil who was re-building the engine. He had a build up of wax in his ears and didn't hear the alarm and cooked his engine!
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Smackman,

Rubber hoses on each end of the pipe make it flexible enough to lift and clear the filter. That flexibility is one of the contributing reasons for the wear. The filter(s) I have is a Fram PH 2846B and Wix 51340. Napa has a cross match 1310.

How are things in Louisiana? Warm enough for you?

Vic
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Smackman,

I forgot to attached this photo which will give you a better idea. You can see the filter top and the pipe just over the filter.

Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Vic good catch. Looking at your engine room what kind of paint did you use on the engine? Also what type of battery charger do you have? It has been good to talk to you. Thanks Chris
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Your engine room looks really smart, Vic.
I guess Free State still has the original hoses as her copper cooling pipe is much longer than yours and so not as flexible. So long as you can get the filter off is the main thing.

I checked the weather online the other day and we in the UK were in the 90's and New Orleans in the 80's.
My little daughter Rosie rode her 1000cc Ducati through Belgium, Luxumburg, Germany, Austria and Italy and back for two weeks and nearly melted in her leathers! Well over 100F in Italy.
Back to our usual 70's now in the UK and the forcast is good for the weekend. Off sailing with a friend in his Albin Vega 27ft. sailboat in the Thames estuary for 5 days.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Smackman: Only 80 in NO...I'm moving. Was that at 6 in the morning?

Sprig: The charger is a 20 amp Absco/Kisae. It does everything but make coffee and If I really knew how to set it up on my own it could probably be made to do that. I got it on my tech guy's recommendation. If I ever have to do more than plug it in I'm lost.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

So Smackman how come you daughter didn't just ride in jeans and a tee shirts like the crazies over her?
I gave up riding a m/c here partly as it was way to hot in the summer in proper clothing.
Just notice the transatlantic race sailboat is ending this weekend in cowed, one of the front runners is the 1915 'marrettie of1915'...how cool is that!
http://d1gn1gy0c5211g.cloudfront.net/im ... riette.jpg

Off topic sorry...
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi all just checked mine today. The metal pipe is rubbing the high pressure steel injection line it needs to be brazed. Smacksman yours looks just like mine might want to check that before you go cruising again.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”