• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Center Window Albin 27

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Center Window Albin 27

Post by Vic K »

In cleaning up my shop from my redo Albin 27 project and I found the center window frame. I believe this is the part that lifts out about 24 1/2 X 24 1/2". Since I decided against a lift out this frame is available to someone that needs it.

Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: Center Window Albin 27

Post by smacksman »

That's interesting. My 1983 27fc center window is top hinged with side support arms. It is getting a lot of use now the weather is warmer. Did later models lift out?
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

'Lift' was probably the wrong term for me to use. TIt pushed out on a hinge and was held by an adjustable support. Notorious for leaking.
Vic
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

CaptVic: when you repolaced your center window, how did you do that?
Whats your opinion on the job now that you've had it a while?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, and opting for an overhead hatch instead of the center window.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I am just getting around to ripping mine out would also like to know what you did to stop the leaks. Did you fiberglass the cabin top pilot house joint rotten balsa comes out the joint was wondering how to fix it thanks
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

I pulled all the windows out so I could remove all the rot ( and there was a lot). Filled all the spaces with epoxied treated wood or with a putty mixture of epoxy and silica. Rebuilt all the frames, eliminating the center opener; replaced all the glass. Put new Becson channels in the side windows. All the outside trim is painted with oil base alkyd enamel
Had to also replace rot in the pilot house and cabin top. Pulled off the fiberglass skin dug out the rot and replaced with epoxied plywood or foam, then re-epoxied the skin. Instead of removing all the skin at once I took it off in sections leaving a 1 1/2" strip so I would have a guide putting it back together.

I installed two vent hatches in the pilot house top. One faces forward and the other aft. It hasn't been very hot as of yet but between the top hatches and the sliding windows there seems to be a nice cross breeze.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Sprig,

When you ask about the pilot house joint are you referring to where the pilot house meets the deck? On mine this was a real gunfight getting this fixed. It was a major source of water leaking in the boat.
If this joint is what you were asking about I have a lot of photos covering this repair;
Vic
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Vic the joint right below the center window that goes port to starboard below the front window. I know all the coring is gone. Just compost comes out the crack. I have to replace the Becson sliding track for side windows it is shot. The frame on the port side is good don't know about starboard yet will know today. I imagine the starboard is really bad. How did you make it so the track would drain? I took out the waste tank and water poured out the screw holes of the base. Some how water is getting in there. All I have done is rip the boat apart and just keep finding more problems. I am beginning to doubt my decision on buying the boat it was in a lot worse shape then I thought. Payed way to much for all these problems I had feeling at the survey and should of gone with my gut feeling. Oh well pickup pieces and go on it will almost be a new boat when I get done. Luckily I like projects and can do the work myself and have smart friends. Thanks again chris
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Chris,

Don't give up.
I've replaced or repaired just about everything on/in mine. At least now I know where all the parts go. As to the drains on the side windows. I built all the windows on the work bench then installed them on the boat. I cut the channels to fit the frame. At the lower portion of the frame I cut a weep holes that met the channel. Be sure to epoxy the weep hole. It's working so for. If anything fouls the hole you can easily clear it.
When I bought my Albin I had a pretty good idea of the work that was needed. Fortunately I was able to put it behind my house and beside the barn/shop. What I thought was going to be a year turned out to be two and a half. There were unsuspected surprises like the hull and deck joint and the joint of the pilothouse to cabin top. But I wasn't working on it all the time. I spent a lot of hours sitting with my coffee cup thinking how it would be. If I would've thought about all that had to be done I would have shucked it. Being an old guy and not to smart I just did it a piece at a time. My wife kept on me to get someone to help but as I told her I barely knew what was next much less explain to someone.
The Albin group helped a lot. Heteck in New York was my main go to guy. He had a 27 also and was familiar with the boat. The top extension was his design idea.
If you email me I'll give you my phone number and be glad to tell you the mistakes I made so you won't repeat them.
The "Mary Jo" is in the water and I'm pleased. If I replace the engine she will be like new. As I tell people just don't look too close. She is built to use and not just look pretty.
Vic
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Chris,

On the front windows I routed a groove on each side of the lower frame so water would run off and not collect. So far no leaks around any of the windows.

Vic
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

I'm missing the center window completely - Lost to Hurricane Katrina. If your window frame is on good shape it would probably save me lots of time and trouble trying to duplicate it. Let me know what you'd want for it and what it would cost to ship it

Don
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Don,

This is the center piece that rotates out. It's in good shape (needs finishing). You are welcome to it with no cost just pay for the shipping.
I have some cardboard that should suffice. Send me an address and I'll check on shipping.

Vic
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

CaptVic...I want to install vent hatches on my pilot house roof...where did you find these?
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

ponusNick,

I made the two I have on my boat. Very simple to do. I'm sure you can buy ones to fit,
Build the insert and top then cut the hole in the roof.
Build insert to size you want. Mine have an interior dimension of 12' square
1. how high outside
2. lower to fit roof interior
a. I used mahogany as interior trim
Build top
1. I used piano hinge

At first I used plexiglass on the top top but changed to plywood ( epoxied and glassed).

If I can help let me know.

Vic
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

I need to fill the deck, pilothouse joint on my 27 FC. It varies from about a quarter inch to touching. I was wondering what you guys were using to fill this joint? Some of the boaters in my marina are recommending 5200, I was leaning toward a butel caulk. Thanks for the help, Mark.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”