• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

'Free State' Fitting Out

Albin's "power cruisers"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: 'Free State' Fitting Out

Post by Beta Don »

sail149 wrote:Don
I saw that small round deck plate in the back of the boat I sent a photo off.
Slightly Later boats like mine have a large rectangular hatch as the stern packing is under. Yours must is one of the early boats with the extended stern tubes that go up to near the engine!
Yes, my prop shaft runs inside a fiberglass tube which runs all the way from the stern to the bulkhead where the packing gland fitting is mounted, just aft of the transmission. I think Smackman's boat had the rectangular hatch in the aft cabin floor like yours - Mine is a round 6 inch deck plate with a screw out top

The list of variables between the early boats and the later production models is amazing . . . . and it keeps growing!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Just to brag that my boat is better than your boat - nah ni nah! 'Free State' has both! A 6" dia. deck hatch forward of the step/thwart and a rectangular hatch aft. The prop shaft tube is as Don describes with the stuffing gland in a very tight location a couple of foot aft of the gear box on a floor or mini - bulkhead under the central ally fuel tank.
I'm a few thousand miles away from the boat at the moment so can't take photos but watching the progress of tropical cyclone Erika with interest. Due to be a Cat 1 hurricane by the weekend over the Bahamas.
Safe passage to all in her path.
Roger
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hoping for a big re-curve out to the east, stripped the isinglass today and took the boat out to a mooring

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”