• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD3B fuel pump kit

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

MD3B fuel pump kit

Post by WillieC »

Anyone know where I might find one or two? 1973 Albin 25 MD3B original mechanical fuel pump repair kit. Mine is weeping, which I may be able to remedy. Just removing the pump is enough to do it right.
Barring that, any suggestions for electric replacement, not the preferred method?
834255 is, I think, the correct number.

Thanks!

Follow up, 3/19/15. I took the pump out, I am cleaning up hoses and filters, see another post. Was able to open up another pump (this boat came with two spares, but one belongs to the spare engine!) The diaphragm is, how you say, not supple. Still trying but I couldn't get much out of it running the lever by hand.

So I figured I could afford to open this one up. When I took the case apart, a little spring fell at my feet and a metal washer/disk was sitting on top of the diaphragm. Took me a while to figure out that this was the output/exhaust reed valve assemble. This is supposed to be unserviceable, since it is swaged or staked into the upper case. I found where one of the stakes let go and the whole assembly fell onto the diaphragm. I did find all the pieces and figured out how it is supposed to go, then put it all in a plastic bag, no point in proceeding without a kit, which I am still looking for.

Meanwhile, back on the WillieC, I am sorting out the fuel system. (See later post about filters.) A Previous Owner installed a NAPA electric fuel pump in the line as soon as it leaves the tank. It was not permanently wired, but I found it useful last summer when I lost the prime and had to bleed the system due to loose and leaky fittings.

Thinking about wiring it in since I may not find repair kits for the mechanical unit and a ready to go back-up might come in handy. However it occurred to me that a series installation may not be a good thing. It is also not on the recommended side of the Racor, pushing fuel through it. Then I realized, all that fuel pressure would also push against the reed valves in the mechanical pump since it is installed in line with it. Probably not a good idea.
Maybe I should install the electric pump in parallel with the mechanical unit with 4 isolating valves. Check valves seem like a bad idea and I can't find parts for the real engine let alone some imaginary parts. And space is limited in the engine box. Now I am even beginning to wonder if using the electric pump as installed in series is ok even for bleeding the system only.

Weigh in with your wisdom if so moved.

Thanks!
Last edited by WillieC on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: MD3B fuel pump kit

Post by eseyoung »

If it were mine i would take it off and take it to a local diesel shop to have it rebuilt.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”