• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tach signal source

Albin's "power cruisers"
Larry1942
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gulfport, Florida, USA

Tach signal source

Post by Larry1942 »

Previous owner told me that when the on again off again tach finally quit, buy a new one. After trying unsuccessfully to restore operation or find the signal source of Tach signal on my 1984 27 FC with a lehman marinized peugeot 4d61, I bought another tach and wired as per instructions. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem either. Perhaps the signal is not from the alternator. Any help out there?
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Tach signal source

Post by don123 »

I don't have my 4D61 anymore so I can't go look to double check, but I believe the tach is fed a signal from a sensor which counts the teeth on the flywheel used by the starter. Check the bellhousing area for a screw in sensor with two wires

Since your tach was intermittent for a period before it quit altogether, I would check the wiring between the engine and the instrument panel. You've eliminated the tach as the problem, it must be either a bad sensor or a wiring problem

Hope this helps,

Don
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Or a sensor out of adjustment. Probably screw I till it touches then back off a turn and a half.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

The tach on my 1983 is alternator fed. It is a Motorola alternator. I believe the tach lead is gray coming off the alternator (It is shown on wiring diagrams for the 4d61). This topic was discussed a few years ago by "Fortunate" who replaced her tach with an aftermarket. If I recall correctly she had to set the switch (maybe a dip sw) to sync with the alternator.
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I took the signal off my conventional car alternator by connecting a single wire to one of the main wiring coils in the alternator before the rectifier. As added safety I put a 1 amp fuse as the wire comes out of the back of the alternator. The tach works a treat.
Larry1942
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gulfport, Florida, USA

Post by Larry1942 »

Thanks all. Mystery solved.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »