• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Damage In E. Greenwich RI

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Damage In E. Greenwich RI

Post by RicM »

See attached pictures of a 50 something Viking that was badly damaged in the big blow yesterday.

Beware of integral swim platforms! The platform slammed against the concrete dock until it opened up the hull. Both motors were submerged. Rumor has it that it was being delivered to the new owner next week.

Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Is that really a Viking? I thought they only did sportfish hulls.

Either way that boat got some serious abouse, during the storm I guess.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Viking

Post by RicM »

Yes, it's a Viking Sport Cruiser, see:
http://www.vikingsportcruisers.com/main/index.asp
I was told they are built in England by another manufacturer and rebadged by Viking. They are a rather hideous example of what David Pascoe calls "bubble boats". The hole at the base of the swim platform goes right into the main bilge. When that opened up water could flow freely into the main hull. The fiberglass at that corner looked extremely flimsy to me.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
TonyAmalfitano

NJ

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

Down at my Marina looked alot like your pictures, water to the top of the piers. Our yard crew had just completed an inspection when I arrived to check on "Sea Holli." They told me of one boat that didn't have bow lines, or spring lines! :roll: It was banging into the bulkhead and finger piers. The crew got to this boat before any real damage occurred. Some people just shouldn't own boats, like this guy, and the guy in your picures. :twisted: Too bad the boat can't pick it's owner! :lol:
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would describe that more as a Euro-transom than an integrated swim platform, but from a structural sense, it's the same.

I have to take issue with the objection to the design method. An integrated swim platform is really no different than a regular transom. Had that boat had a bolt-on swim platform, it simply would have been ripped off and then the transom would have rubed against the dock and the end result would have been the same; a sunken boat.

I can't comment on what happened to this boat, as I didn't see it first hand. But in our winter storm last year, we encountered similar (but much less severe) damage to our boat. The fault of the damage was a cleat that broke free and allowed the stern to float away from the dock. Aside from the fact that the cleat was not strong enough for the load, the boat was properly secured with spring lines fore and aft, bow and stern lines, a bow tether line, and a hip line.

The difference, of course, is that when the storm hit us, we went and checked on the boat, and caught the broken lines before the damage became so severe. That's the difference between a responsible owner and one who can't be bothered.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boat Design

Post by RicM »

The great thing about design in general and boat design specifically is you can debate it until hell freezes over and come back the next night and do it again.

In this case the floating docks are concrete and a number of boats that were not well secured got the dockside corner of the swim platforms under the floats (the marina is a Sea Ray dealer and there are LOTS of big swim paltforms about). My non professional observation was that a bolt on platform would have broken off with a possible bolt hole in the hull being opened, and that a good bilge pump system might have saved the engines from salt water immersion. The molded in hollow platform left a large opening (note it's above the water line). A good set of bilge pumps or an auxilliary pump could have saved the engines in this boat. The dock scuttlebut is the boat was about $2M and the engines were worth about 1/3 of that total. While only exposed to the salt water briefly, would anyone want to pay $2M for this baby now? Especially without the cool "spoiler" on the bridge? (Sorry couldn't resist that one....)
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Viking

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

RicM wrote:Yes, it's a Viking Sport Cruiser, see:
http://www.vikingsportcruisers.com/main/index.asp
I was told they are built in England by another manufacturer and rebadged by Viking. They are a rather hideous example of what David Pascoe calls "bubble boats". The hole at the base of the swim platform goes right into the main bilge. When that opened up water could flow freely into the main hull. The fiberglass at that corner looked extremely flimsy to me.
Jeeze I don't know what is going on anymore. These are the Vikings I am used to.....the ones that dot Montauk marinas.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1330678/0

Note the asking price on this one.....yowzer!

I can't believe American made Viking is bringing in Euro trash.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Just to add a little more to the confusion, here are the true Vikings!

http://www.vikingyachts.com/main/index.asp
TonyAmalfitano

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

They build them Vikings right here in good old New Jersey!
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

Viking Yachts of New Jersey is the Viking most of you are problaby familier with. Mostly convertibles and sport fishers as well as some larger formal motoryachts. They also import and sell Viking Sport Cruisers, which are built in England and sold in the rest of the world as Princess. You'll also find they sell a larger line of custom boats which come from Italy under the Viking San Lorenzo name.

We used to be dealers for Viking Sport Cruisers. The boats are probably the most 'americanized' of the euro compitition like Sunseaker, Azimut, or Ferretti. Although the hulls are the same between the Princess and VSC boats, there is a great deal of difference in the fittings and gear. Viking ships over several containers of US specific gear that gets installed by Princess, then the boats are shipped to the US. I believe many/most of the east coast boats are shipped to Viking's New Jersey facility for commisioning, while the west coast boats are shipped directly to the dealers.

The boats are very nice driving. I haven't run many of them as we dropped the line several years ago, but I have a fond memory of taking a V65 hard top express with twin 1500's out. When the turbos came up to speed, the thing just took off like a rocket. I recall the top end being around 38 knots - sure, there are faster yachts in this size, but none that I've driven. And they handle rough water nicely as well and generally felt like a sports car next to most of the other stuff I've run in that size range. The downside was the accomodations all felt like they were 5/8 scale compared to american yachts of similar size. I used to liken it to american cars vs european cars. The amercan cars are probalby cushy and comfy and less expensive, but the european cars look great, handle brilliently, and generally outperform the americans in pretty much every way.

Zelatore

Return to “General Discussion”