• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Replace Center Opening Window in Wheelhouse

Albin's "power cruisers"
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

A27 Replace Center Opening Window in Wheelhouse

Post by SkipRocks »

We got our '85 A27 Express this past January. I've refurbished the 6 Beckson port lights, replaced the sliding side windows in the wheelhouse and now it's time to tackle the big one. The wood for the center opening window had deteriorated significantly and the hardware to open the window was long gone before I got it. I need to rebuild the window frame, but I also need to figure out the hardware. Does anyone have pictures and/or pieces and parts in their parts buckets.

I notice from photo's of newer Albins the center window is split horizontally and only half of it opens - and they have aluminum or stainless steel frames. I think I'll stick with the wood for now, but... any input?

Skip
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A27 Replace Center Opening Window in Wheelhouse

Post by don123 »

I'll follow this thread carefully, as I'm about to do the same

My center window was lost completely in Hurricane Katrina, so I'm going to have to re-create it from scratch. I do have most of the original hardware, as it was not attached to the window when it was lost

I think I'm going to make a red oak frame as opposed to using teak, because the oak is easier to keep varnished. I've already replaced the other two glass windows (mine were a bit cloudy and one was cracked) and I've already bought the safety glass for the center panel. If I get mine done before you do, I'll send you pictures

Don
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

Here's a picture of mine.
100_1814.JPG
It also shows the inside bug screen and the exterior shade screen. The hardware allows for three opening positions and locks in place with a couple of turns of the two knobs. Here it is in the second position from closed.

From the outside:
100_1804.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

don123, I would strongly recommend white oak if you want oak for your window. Red oak is very porous and wicks water, so it rots quickly. Ipe or cypress would be better than oak for rot resistance. You can color cypress to match the teak and it's a lot lighter than the others, so would be easier to push it out on the brackets.
don123
First Mate
First Mate

Post by don123 »

Appreciate the advice on the wood!

I used red oak with 2 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane for the inside trim pieces which hold in the other front windows and am very pleased with the look. My 2 main reasons for using oak over Ipe, Cypress or Teak is because it *is* porous and will accept the 2 part epoxy I'm using to assemble the frame and it also holds varnish much better than any oily wood and I plan to keep this window frame varnished (with urethane) 100% of the time. I also have Sunbrella coverings for all the windows, so if it's going to rot, it will probably be long after I'm gone ;-)

I have used Ipe in several other places during my restoration - The main beams for my 8 foot roof extension and I also replaced the aft rub strakes with larger and longer pieces of Ipe, topped with much larger stainless rub rails

Don
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I need to do this also. Who will be the first to tear their window apart and show us how its done?
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

The hardware on my window is really in bad shape, anyone know where I can find replacements?

Thanks

Jay
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

I'm in the same boat Jay - no hardware. If I haven't solved this by then, I'll be hitting the boat flea markets pretty hard looking for something that will do.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

When you say its in bad shape, how bad is that?

I have had success in taking chromed boat hardware that looks terrible, chipped, pitted, peeling, green, rusted, etc and put it to a standing grinder with a wire wheel. I have used both steel wire, and brass wire wheels. With steel, its faster and easier to get where you're going, but you need to clean the item afterwards really well to make sure there's no ferrous pieces on the metal. The wire wheel will strip off everything loose. You can then get more aggressive using a hard wheel and actually take it down to the bronze, if that's whats underneath. If its brass or pot metal you will not have much luck. Otherwise, polish it up. Shoot it with polyeurethane clear. It doesn't last long on the exterior, but interior its good. Threads can be redressed and tapped for knobs etc. For me I like the weathered bronze look, no green, just the brown patina and clean surface.

The bronze weathered look may not be what your looking for if you have a lot of stainless or chrome. But it does look salty and if the hardware is solid, it saves having to re-source.
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

I replaced the glass and hardware on my A27 center window. The hardware is a Windshield Slotted Adjuster made by Perko (sold by various vendors). This was the exact replacement for what was on my boat and appears to be the same as in photo from previous post.

JVB
don123
First Mate
First Mate

Post by don123 »

johnvb1014 wrote:The hardware is a Windshield Slotted Adjuster made by Perko (sold by various vendors). This was the exact replacement for what was on my boat and appears to be the same as in photo from previous post.
Mine are not in the best shape either . . . . but $75 for new ones is a ridiculous price to pay for chrome plated ZINC - For that price, they should be either stainless or chromed brass IMO

Don

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”