• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member: Mike

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

New Member: Mike

Post by Mike »

We are in the process of getting a 95 Albin 28 TE and we are having her surveyed this Thursday. Any thoughts on what we should look out for would be great. I have been reading the various threads posted on this sight and I am impressed by the knowledge that everyone shares. One thing is for sure, it looks like we have picked the right boat!
Time Out Annapolis
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I'm sure others will chime in with more experience than I but welcome to the board.

Consensus is to have a good surveyor go over everything and work from there.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jack
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Member

Post by jcollins »

Mike wrote:We are in the process of getting a 95 Albin 28 TE and we are having her surveyed this Thursday. Any thoughts on what we should look out for would be great. I have been reading the various threads posted on this sight and I am impressed by the knowledge that everyone shares. One thing is for sure, it looks like we have picked the right boat!
Mike,
Welcome to the board! The latest comments around here are to check the water heater. The surveyor will tell you if it works or not. But, have him give you an opinion of life expectency. Although the replacement parts are not high, labor to change it is. 20+ hours involved. Not really a deal breaker but it could be a negotiation point.
Which engine?

Peninsular? Get ready to hear the horror stories. But, most stories you hear are just that. Many members here, including myself, have that engine and are happy with it. That year has a "hot-starting" problem that can easily be addressed if the previous owner hasn't already taken care of it.

Yanmar? Better. Again, Yanmar owners are here to help with questions you have.

One thing you will find is that you are purchasing a "real boat". Very stable.
Your just in time for the Chesapeake rendezvous. We hope to be seeing you on the water with a AOG burgee.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Double Lucky

Post by Double Lucky »

Mike, welcome. I hope this helps. What I have learned on this site would help me direct a better survey should I need to do it again. We adopted Double Lucky (1999 28 TE, Yanmar) from her first owner in September 06. The survey only turned up a couple of things (hoses, belts, exhaust mixer) which the owner promptly took care of. We have cruised and fished for 195 hours since and are very happy with our 28 TE. Her is what I would pay more attention to, or ask about, primarily for piece of mind when you read this site and find out what you forgot to check!
1. Maintenance records for each: fresh water cooler, fuel oil cooler, engine oil cooler, inter cooler, transmission cooler and mixing elbow.
2. Check soundness (watch surveyor check) soundness of hull at thru hull fittings.
3. Check the zinc at the bow thruster propeller.
4. Look in the bow thruster compartment--black dust in the compartment may be a precursor of bow thruster failure.
5. Check qualification of surveyor and get help for him with the engine if he is not up to speed (maybe an engine survey).
6. Check for adequate raw water output.
I hope you have already though of these. Good Luck.
Russ
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Welcome to the ever expanding group.

I can't give any 28 specific things to look out for other than give any boat a good going over & try not to let the emotion & excitement of getting a 'new to you' boat cloud judgement.

I have had my love/hate relationship going with Albins since 1986 when we bought a 27AC new. Must have been generally a good boat. We kept it till 2000. We have a 1996 32 now. There are no plans to sell anytime soon.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks for all the responses. The engine is a Peninsular with 310 hours on her. Doing some research, I have found good and bad critiques on them - but I suppose you can do that on anything. I will take all the tips with me this Thursday. Hopefully, we will have a spring thaw by then.
Time Out Annapolis
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Mike, congrats. on the new boat, Im sure you will love her. Did I miss it or is this your first boat? If not what did you own before? Either way, you will love the ride of your 28', it rides like a much bigger boat! :P I have a 94 TE with the Peninsular and so far so good, it runs great. I just had my prop re-worked and took an inch of pitch out to make it an 18" x 17" trying to get up to the desired RPM. I was lucky I guess, the year before I bought her, they put in a new hot water heater, so that saved me. I just basically keep up on regular maintenance so far, this is my third summer, if it ever gets warm that is. :D
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
tomcat rio

look down about 5 posts ,"new member"

Post by tomcat rio »

some applicable peninsular data there. thead title: "new member".
just as a reference,the 2006 310 peninsular in my '93 te 28 seems to be comfortable at 2950 rpm, 15-16 kts cruise at 9-10 gph.
later generation yanmars seem to be about 30% more fuel effecient but cost more and may require a little extra tender loving care.
good luck
ed flanagan
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Hi Mike

Welcome to the board!
I have a 1994 28TE with a Peninsular. I haven't had many problems with her. Do a search and yee shall find the info you are looking for!

Since you are in the process of inspecting a 1995, ask if you can
see all the service records. It may help determine what condtion
she may be in.

I have determined that a boat of this age, no matter how well maintained she
is will have some kind of upcoming maintenance issue to to deal with.
What Veebyes said about don't let your emotion and excitement cloud your judgement is good advice.

Check hoses and seals. They are good indicator of things that will need to be serviced.
Make sure your surveyor has had experience with Albins - this will go a long way in an accurate survey.

Good luck!

Gery Garcia
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's official

Post by Mike »

Sign, sealed, and soon to be delivered, with all the great advice I found on this sight, we are bringing Time Out up from Irvington, Va to Annapolis on Friday. Should be a good run to become familiar with her. It is about 115 mile trip up the Chesapeake.
I will probably have many more visits and questions to post now that I have a learning curve to deal with. Ordered my burgee today - see you on the water.
Time Out Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mike,
Your burgee is on it's way. See you at the rendezvous in June.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DBM

Post by DBM »

Good Luck on your first run.

You're in the perfect place to troll striaght up the bay, although i suspect your too excited to get her home.

Congratulations, we're in the process of deciding what boat is right for us, and we're really interested in both the straight Albin TE 28 and the Albin convertible 28.

i'd love to hear updates on how your first year goes.

David
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Disappointed

Post by Mike »

Got up early to bring Time Out to Annapolis. Hardly got out of the cove before the engine alarm started going off. She overheated quicklyand we had to be towed back to the marina. She was barely warm during the sea trial - go figure. The Mech is supposed to look at her Monday. I am hoping for something simple. Here comes the learning curve! Gotta love boating.
Time Out Annapolis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Disappointed

Post by Mariner »

Mike wrote:Got up early to bring Time Out to Annapolis. Hardly got out of the cove before the engine alarm started going off. She overheated quicklyand we had to be towed back to the marina. She was barely warm during the sea trial - go figure. The Mech is supposed to look at her Monday. I am hoping for something simple. Here comes the learning curve! Gotta love boating.
Check your strainer first. Then your impeller. 90% chance it's one of those. If not, you could have an obstruction in your water jacket or be low on coolant. But more than likely, it's a simple fix that won't cost you more than a few bucks.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

"that won't cost you more than a few bucks" :shock: :shock: :shock:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “New Member Introductions”