• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

smart rails

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Capt. Ken

smart rails

Post by Capt. Ken »

Does anyone have any information on this product in relation to their installation on the 28 TE? They say with these spray rails added to the hull water spray is reduced significantly and proformance is improved. I am about to purchase them and would appreciate any comments.
tomcat rio

a few links

Post by tomcat rio »

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

My impression from their website (very cheap and doesn't work properly), is that it'd be a waste of your money. The only photos I could get to work were the ones that say "with rails" and "without rails" The problem with those pictures is that they are two very different boats in very different conditions. That immediately gives me the impression that they aren't interested in providing real evidence of performance. What's more, they reference are made from PVC, which is not exactly the most durable plastic. But it is cheap.

Another thing to consider is that Albin hulls are already very well engineered and the designers kept spray reduction very much in mind. They combine spray strakes and a flared bow, both of which are used specifically to reduce spray over the bow and provide progressive wave entry (soft but firm ride in swells). Changing the shape of the bow at the entry point would likely not result in an improvement, and might actually cause more problems.

Have you had problems with spray over the bow? This is not a problem very many here have mentioned. Where do you use your boat and in what conditions do you typically use it?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Capt. Ken,
Welcome to the board. It's nice to see another convertible owner around. There are a couple of us. I'm interested in what kind of water you boat in too. I get alot of spray if I go too slow for rough conditions. Tabs up, bow up, it's not that bad.

Feels good on a hot day. Not good if your dressed for dinner. <smile>

Anyway...welcome...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt. Ken

smart rails continued

Post by Capt. Ken »

Thank you for the input. The answer to some of the questions posted : my boat is used primarily inthe Keys(atlantic ocean and florida bay) In even a moderate chop the boat takes a lot of spray so I have wet passengers sitting on the rear bench seat. (my boat has the gatsby option) I'm going to try the rails and see if they help. I'll let you know. I'm hauling out april 18 for bottom job and painting the dark green hull with Awlgrip probably. Anybody cruising thru the keys give me a shout.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Ken,
There was another thread here about seating options. Another member mentioned that the rear seat is a wet ride. So much that he removed it I think.

What is the estimate for your paint job? Mine is black and I looking at painting in the next couple of years.
John
bnoft

Post by bnoft »

My 28 also had a wet rear seat, a welcome feature on hot days. My chairs were not fastened down, like the Gatsby, so when passengers got tired of the shower, they rearranged the deck chairs.
marshall leicht

smart rails

Post by marshall leicht »

I'm amazed this is not a hot topic !...We've owned a 2002 28"TE Convertible for 4weeks, and while we love the boat, it's the wettist riding express I've ever been on...Tabs up, Tabs down, no matter...anything over 14 knots and more than 1 foot of chop and EVERBODY past the Captain/First Mate seats is getting soaked...I think the reason we've seen so many complaints about the Albin's windshield wipers is that they are ALWAYS in use...Sorry to hear the smart rails may be poorly made..I would realy like to hear if it improves your splash problem after the 4-18 installation..we are considering same thing..This is the only problem I've seen with the boat sofor...Great Constuction, Good Materials...just a great boat...I can always buy a towel !
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

As a former Shamrock owner I know that many of them claimed the SmartRails worked very well and were not difficult to install. You can look at comments on their web site fish-the-classic posted above by Tom. If you can search as a non member you will find this topic over and over but the conclusion is almost always favorable. It would be worth contacting the company to see if they have any experience with Albins.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

One trip I make almost every weekend is from the shack, to the Gunpowder, to the Bay, to Middle River. It's a big U-turn going South on the Gunpowder into the Bay, then West on the Bay, then South into the mouth of Middle River. About 8 or 9 miles. I've done it so many times I don't think about it. The run south, south west on the Bay, is usually 19-20 knots on a calm day. When it's 2-3 foot chop I back down to around 14. At that speed there is a little spray on the port side. I pretty much keep the tabs up unless it's getting snotty. To me that's 3-4. The waves are close together on the bay. Your right. Guests tend to huddle up front until we are in the calm rivers. 1' foot or less they are all over the boat. I never give it much thought. That time of year you dry off quickly.

Hey, the price isn't outragous so give them a try. It wouldn't hurt to contact Albin and get an opinion. Send a note to Andrew. He could forward your email around.
John
Capt. Ken

Smart rails

Post by Capt. Ken »

Hi again all. One reason I Don't go on as many cocktail and sunset cruises as I used to is I Don't want to wash the boat (and dry it
) afterwards. The boat hits asmall chop or a wake and its all o0ver(literally). An article I read in a boat mag. said they worked great(spray rails I spo9ke to company owner and he said take pictures of boat underway to assist in correct mounting positions. I'm gonnatry it. My awlgrip (dark green)#H4024 will cost 239 bucks but with paint reducer ,shipping etc 460. It's being brushed on at $35 an hr.
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Smart rails

Post by jcollins »

Capt. Ken wrote: My awlgrip (dark green)#H4024 will cost 239 bucks but with paint reducer ,shipping etc 460. It's being brushed on at $35 an hr.
Ken,
Keep us in the loop with the total time you are charged for. I'm interested to know and compare to the estimate I got from my yard. (2500)
Post before and after pics if you have them.

Thanks,
John
tomcat rio

Post by tomcat rio »

what about possible sling damage?

i'm sure somebody smarter than me has already thunk about it, but it might be a concern.
marshall leicht

Post by marshall leicht »

I've had a short conversation with a marine service company that does smart rails...they are currently working up an estimate, but had indicated $105./foot, installed...they initial suggestion was to start 6-8 ft. behind the bow and go back to the second sling mark...with a cut for the forward sling mark...I'll get back with more details....
Capt. Ken

spray rails and new awlgrip for JADED 28 TE

Post by Capt. Ken »

After afew postponments I was hauled May 16. I had met someone in my area who installed the rails on his boat 2 years ago.(26ft fish boat) He said they were the best thing he ever bought for his boat. Easy install, durable and perform as advertised. I went to see his boat and with his testimonial I proceded. I purchased the Smart Rail 1000 model and the painters I hired who are also boat mechanics (fiberglass, etc.) installed them for me. They are nine feet long starting at the bow and applied directly above the chine. The sling indicator needed to be moved about a foot aft and the yard mechanics assured me that would be no problem in hauling safely. The rails have diminished the spray problem on my boat by approximately 90% I am more than satisfied with this result. I will try to post pictures but do not really know how to accomplish that.
regarding the paint, I decided because of the dark green color being applied I would hire a painter who sprayed instead of brushing as I had originally intended. This cost approximately $3200.00 with him suppling all materials and equipment except one gallon of paint I provided. The paint job came out beautifully with a mirror like shine you would see on a new car. Other cost associated with this project included replacement of the boot stripe, pin stripe, and vessel name. This totaled approximately $350. Be glad to speak with anyone or send pictures to individual e-mail addresses as you request (that I know how to do).
Anyone cruising through the keys this summer....look us up.

Return to “General Discussion”