• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailering?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

PnL

Trailering?

Post by PnL »

How many of you 28 owners keep your Albin on a trailer versus a slip? I like the idea of being able to move the boat to different locations and a 10' beam is as large as you can go with special permits. I like the 31 for the size, but you can't trailer that. But I don't know how manageable the 28 is on a trailer. I have a friend who routinely trailers his 10' beam boat, but wanted to see what the consensus is here.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

PNL,
Here is a thread from August.

http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... ht=trailer

There are also some pics around here from another member.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
PnL

Post by PnL »

jcollins, I read that thread but the discussion was centered more on what the laws regarding towing wide beam. I was hoping that there were some 28 owners who DID trailer theirs who would be able to give me some feedback.

Do you happend to remember which member had the pics? I'd like to get in touch with him.

Thanks,
Paul
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Sorry. I don't remember who or where. It is on this board. Perhaps someone will jump in here and let us both know.
John
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I have thought about trailering my Albin 28. I actually went out and asked fo a quote on a trailer. I have never trailered a 10 ft beam boat but I did trailer a 8.5 ft boat for many years and a couple of travel trailers over 30 ft long. I think it basically comes down to :

A) Not being in a hurry to get anywhere.
B) Having the right vehicle to do this with. Horse power and towing set up.
C) a good trailer with brakes on all the wheels
D) Height restrictions (thinking of the radar arch), this may not be a problem in most places
E) Allot of patience at the boat ramp/lift going in and out.

You will need to deal with the permits plus there may be some restrictions on the time of day you can actually tow on some roads or bridges depending on where you are.

I liked the ability to take the boat to different places. But I also like the fact that the boat is ready to go in the water. I have helped friends who have larger boats recently and can say I don't miss it that much!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would say if I had a 28' and had the money for frivolous things like a custom trailer and a Top Kick towing rig, I would definitely own them so that when I wanted to take the boat to the lakes in Eastern Washington and Idaho, or to spend a week in the Bay Area, I could do that. But the majority of the time, the boat would be kept in the water. I definitely would NOT want to have to launch it every time I wanted to use it. It's enough of a barrier to use already with my 13' Whaler. I can't imagine the hassle involved with launching/retrieving a 28' boat.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

PnL wrote:jcollins, I read that thread but the discussion was centered more on what the laws regarding towing wide beam. I was hoping that there were some 28 owners who DID trailer theirs who would be able to give me some feedback.

Do you happend to remember which member had the pics? I'd like to get in touch with him.

Thanks,
Paul
Spacecoaster
John
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

trailering

Post by Pitou »

The 28TE is an awful lot of boat to trailer on a regular basis. I Can't imagine. If so it's kind of like the story of the guy who wanted to cut his own firewood. Costs / chain saw, steel toed shoes, log splitter, medical bills etc. Let's see Custom trailer, GMC DuraMax Diesel, permits, etc.. Only kidding.

Anyway, I used to trailer a 28 ft. Center Console with twin 200's 2X per year / Launch and haul plus occassional haul out for fuel. PITA :twisted:

A slip is the way to go. Go to "Summer Beverage Recipes and relax. 8)

I have a dockmate who took his Grady 32 to Lake Champlain in VT. for ride down through the locks to New York City over to Block, the Vinyard and Nantucket and back to Cape Ann, MA. He hired a boat transport company for the over the road to Vermont / though expensive (not too bad) much cheaper than the custom trailer and new truck.

As an every day thing to haul the Albin I think it would take away the joy of the day. I love my slip. On a berth since 1989 and not looking back :!:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm with Pitou on this one. It's a awful lot of boat to trailer. I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis. I've trailered other boats, the largest being just 22 feet and it was a pain at some ramps to get in and out. When I got my Albin, one of the most pleasurable things for me was to find a covered slip and just be able to drive down with a over night bag and jump on the boat. Cool in the summer, dry in the rain and NO trailer to fight. I'd give it some serious consideration especially considering the size of this particular boat.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
PnL

Post by PnL »

Thanks for all the replies, the consensus is that the 28TE is too large to tow frequently.

The reason I want to tow is because there are a great many place from where I can launch here in Southern California which will make my trip quicker and cheaper. I live in San Diego and depending on where I want to go, I can launch from the San Diego Bay or Mission Bay. Or if I want to go to Catalina, it makes more sense to launch from Dana Point or further north. Likewise, I can also go to Baja and head out in to the Sea of Cortez, etc.

You get the picture. Perhaps I need to get TWO boats? :)

I'll have to rethink the 28 ... maybe I need a 8'6" beam for what I want to use it for.
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SpaceCoaster »

jcollins wrote:
PnL wrote:jcollins, I read that thread but the discussion was centered more on what the laws regarding towing wide beam. I was hoping that there were some 28 owners who DID trailer theirs who would be able to give me some feedback.

Thanks,
Paul
Spacecoaster
PnL,

I had my 28 transported from the West coast of FL to the East side of the state. I have plenty of pics of the move and can share them with you if you'd like. Although it sounds like you're heading in another direction. ?

I pretty much go along with the consensus that trailering the 28te would be a major task. Even if I had the proper gear, I wouldn't want to do it very often. Good luck.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

If you haven't already drop on in at TheHullTruth.com (aka THT).

Do a search on Trailering and Permits and I'm sure you'll find some threads on the topic of large boat trailering. Some of the guys there regularly trailer pretty large boats. (Unspoken rule at THT - always search BEFORE asking a question - some of the regulars get a bit uppity when you post a question that's be answered multiple times!)

The 28 might be challenging but given all of the bodies of water you'd like to cruise (based on your post) I might look into it a little bit more before abandoning the idea. I think the consensus of the group is that trailering to a local ramp vs. having a slip is a bad idea - but that's not what you're considering. The 28 is a wonderful boat and I'd be happy having one under me in whatever sea or lake I found myself in!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Trailering the 28' on an occasional basis is in no way unreasonable (though the equipment and towing rig would be very expensive). I know a guy (also in California) who towed his 31' Camano Troll (10,000# and considerably larger than a 28' Albin) on a semi-regular basis. He towed it on a custom low-boy trailer behind his International Harvester truck. This guy also owned a small car racing team, so he already had two trucks capable of towing it, and plenty of experience towing large things. He also had a commercial license. He said that he was technically required to get a permit for each trip, but rarely bothered. He did have to put "Wide Load" signs on the truck and boat, but didn't need chase cars, hence why he could get away without the permit. He primarily used the boat in the Bay and at Lake Tahoe, but I know he took at least one trip up to British Columbia (that's where I met him).

Like I said above, having the ability to trailer the 28' to new and interesting destinations is something that I would think any owner who had the means, would want to do. But actually storing it on a trailer when not in use, and launching every weekend... well, that's just something I wouldn't want to even consider.
tomcat rio

my take on it.

Post by tomcat rio »

Return to “General Discussion”