• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flo Scan System

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Flo Scan System

Post by seasalt »

Now that I have a new starter (that works) and a mechanic who (begrudingly) can get outboard of the starboard engine I am going to move on the next item on my list.

I have a set of 9700/9800 Flo Scans on my Cummins 370's. Not relevant to this question but they are the ones with the GPS interface that gives either mpg or gph. They also have a digital tack, engine hours and total fuel readings. One needs repair because it does not show fuel consumption. Everything else shows.

I am having a hard time determining how many pulsation dampeners and fuel homogenizers I actually have so I can order some new canisters. The starter mechanic said that the starboard mustard colored one was rusting and would eventually cause an air leak in the fuel line. He was wanting out of there real bad...leg cramps...or I would have had him stay down there longer.

Starting at the Racors each fuel line goes along the two stringers between the engines to fuel homogenizer canisters and sensors. I cannot find a pulsation dampener here. After the sensor it appears that the fuel lines cross over the bilge and go to opposite engines.

It is hard to see exactly what is outboard of each engine but there appear to be two canisters. One (mustard) is mounted down on a stringer and one line seems to be going back to the fuel tank. The fuel return I would assume. There is a pulsation dampener canister (white) mounted up high against the overhead just above the low one. They appear to be connected but I cannot see where the fuel line comes from or where it goes.

Can anyone here tell me what kind of set up I have and if there are any more canisters that I can't readily see? Chuck replaced one of the starboard ones when he owned the boat.

I am going to call Flo Scan for advice and see if they can recommend anyone in SW Florida that is an expert. No OJT, in other words.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Re: Flo Scan System

Post by seasalt »

After a lot of crawling and cussing on my part I will revise the above post.

1. For each engine's supply side there is a Flow Homogenizer canister and a sensor mounted just aft of the forward motor mounts. Downstream and up on the overhead is the Pulsation Dampener. It was the hardest to find. Only after the Service Manager of Flo Scan insisted that it existed did I find it.

2. The return line runs to the outside overhead where a Pulsation Dampener is mounted. It is connected to a mustard colored Flow Homogenizer and sensor down on the stringer that returns fuel to the tank. Since the mustard colored canister is in the return line it will make a mess if it leaks but not kill the engine.

3. Flo Scan's website for finding local service is out of date. The person listed for my area said that he would no longer work with the bastards (the company).
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Flo Scan System

Post by joreyn »

I have a pair of Flo-Scans exactly as you describe. They work very well. When I fill up, I add the totalizer amounts and pump that amount of diesel. They are amazingly accurate.

The company is located here in Seattle, and I have found their support to be quite good. Most of the techs here have been trained on them.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”