• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 32 Sportsfisher Cruising Speed, Top Speed

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

daisydog77

Albin 32 Sportsfisher Cruising Speed, Top Speed

Post by daisydog77 »

Hi:
I'm a new member here but am very familiar with Albins. My husband and I started out back in 2001 with a 25 ft Albin trawler. Then we moved up to an Albin 28 TE, which we sold last weekend. We have a contract on an Albin 32 Sportsfisher, 1989 model with Cummins engine, 250 hp. It is being surveyed, but we took our sea trial first. Top speed was 16 kts. Now, this boat probably hasn't moved much in the last nine months. So, we are hoping it will pick up speed when the prop is cleaned. We haven't had it out of the water yet for that part of the survey, so the prop may be covered in barnacles. We live in Galveston, Tx.
Are there any other Albin 32 Sportsfisher owners out there with a Cummins 250 hp (1989 model) that could tell me what is cruising speed and what is top speed? Thanks, Pam
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Pam,

With 250 HP 16 knots for that size boat is in the right area. I saw another Sport fisher for sail in Mass that advertized it cruising speed at 18knots. Top speed will change depening on how much gear you stow aboard. I couldn't imagine over 20 knots though. I could be wrong.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

albin 32

Post by AlMar »

With a fresh coat of hard bottom paint, a four blade prop, and typical onboard gear, we CAN reach 20 kts BUT, we have a 300hp engine with a 1:1.52 V drive running at near 2800 rpms and a nice day. HOWEVER, we can cruise all day at 16 kts, and not used much fuel at all. Ours is a 1989 with a catapillar engine. Occasionaly, I've thought about getting one of those cute little 28's, but having all that space below, and still having a huge deck sure makes a comfortable cruise/fishing boat. I love it.
AlMar
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

We get a top speed of about 18kts, clean prop & bottom with moderate load in our 1996 32 with the Cummins 315hp. Best cruise is more like 14-15kts though most of the time we are displacement speed cruisers.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
tomcat rio

Post by tomcat rio »

you might consider getting a fuel flow gage. fuel flow is a major factor in determining 'best cruise'.
http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/index.php
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Even at near $7gal that we pay for diesel I'd have to burn alot to pay for as flo meter.

We only do about 80 hrs a year. Of that I doubt that 5 hrs are done 'at speed'. We tow a 14' Maritime Skiff around with us most of the time so a fast cruise is not an option.

Seasonal average burn is only 3gph.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
stagalv

Albin 32SF in Tx

Post by stagalv »

Pam,

I was wondering what happened to your boat deal on the 32SF in Texas. It is certainly an older model with minimal gear but the price seems fair.

What items did you find on the negative side?

By the way I am new to this forum and look forward to the advice of the experts here.

I know this boat is a bit on the slow side which is a bad thing for me but man, the interior space is fabulous for a 32', open aft cockpit boat. Can some of you expert guys let me know what to look for when considering a 32SF. Is the V-drive a problem spot? Are the boats known for any problems?

Thanks,

Return to “General Discussion”