• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 99hp Repower - Yanmar or Beta

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

CayoHueso
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cayo Hueso

Re: A27 99hp Repower - Yanmar or Beta

Post by CayoHueso »

I also have the ld28m. (Let me know if you repower). I bought my 27FC from Phil Macken recently who described his re propping (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2345&p=15633#p15633). The new prop has us cruising at 7-8.
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

we are considering repowering with a beta90 to replace the original 4d61. Has anyone done this before?
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

What happens at 11knts? Does it start to plane off? If so How is the ride when this happens? Looking at the hull I just can't think that it would. But I am in no way a marine engineer.

Either way, I think a fun project would be to put a 120 Lehman in. They are not only more than sufficient power and bullet proof but it would be hard to pick a more quintessential trawler motor. Anyone know if they would fit? I don't think their foot print would be much bigger than the nissan.
DonGuy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: McGraths Cove

Post by DonGuy »

Accelerating, at about 7 knots (a hair above hull speed) mine starts to run bow up a little. Increasing speed lifts bow a little more. Gets a little squirmy at 9-10 kts. At 11kts she settles, levels out, goes along very nicely.
Don
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

Don

What transmission do you have currently? If you repower you may have to use a different damper plate. I have a Nissan and a Hurth HBW 250 transmission and have had the damper plate rebuilt. I'd be interested in a spare. Might also be interested in the Nissan.

Thanks

John VB
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

I have had mine to 10knts. That is Working the ld28 fairly hard. Wasnt a particularly sstable ride and I backed out fairly quickly. Maybe I should have tried to get another knot. It just makes my hair stand on end to hear that old gal running at such a hi rpm.
DonGuy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: McGraths Cove

Post by DonGuy »

John, I have a Hurth HBW 250-3R. Drive plate is an R&D Marine 42AG8. The drive plate isn't the best - doesn't always handle the tourque when shifting into gear resulting in a "clunk".

eseyoung, yes, getting 11 knots with the Nissan is the very top of what mine will do, when the conditions are just so, and the throttle wide open. RPM 3800 to 4000. A strain on the old girl for sure. I rarely push it like that, and never cruise like that. My max cruise is 7 to 8 kts. Handling gets more squirmy than I like above that , also higher rpm than I like, but she levels out and rides very nicely at 11kts. Just not enough engine to cruise that way.
Don
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

went with a volvo TAMD30, 110HP. Replaces the original 4d61 (sold).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow that looks good. Was it hard to do? Did you use it last season? How did it preform? What did you do with everything in the engine room? Sorry about all the questions just inquiring minds want to know. Thanks
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Sprig1 wrote:Wow that looks good. Was it hard to do? Did you use it last season? How did it preform? What did you do with everything in the engine room? Sorry about all the questions just inquiring minds want to know. Thanks
Hi Sprig, thanks for the compliment, right off the top, I have to say, the credit is all due to the experienced and talented staff at McKellar Marine in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada. Removing the 4D61, and refitting the Volvo was a big job. The engine bearing stringers were modified and strengthened, the engine output shaft coupling was incompatible, so a new one was fitted, the original exhaust was replaced with new 3-1/2" exhaust hose, with the muffler installed inside the port side storage locker. The propeller shaft was shortened and machined, and the supplied 18x11 three blade prop fitted. The engine bay was repainted before the engine, fuel lines and wiring were applied. The water pressure pump is mounted on the forward bulkhead, just above the batteries. The Racor fuel filter is mounted on the rear bulkhead on the port side. The sea trial went smoothly, engine rpm wot was 3600rpm. Cruising along at 2500rpm seemed to be the comfort zone, for quietness and speed. At the time, no GPS was onboard, so no speeds were noted. That was the only time we had her in the water. We will be launching her in the spring, at which time I will be monitoring RPM, speed and fuel consumption numbers and will post them here. Thanks for your interest.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks for the reply. It is always interesting to see what other people do and get done. Will be waiting on next springs results. Have a good winter
Icculus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Penetanguishine ontario

Post by Icculus »

I am considering the same repower on an '84 (replacing the 4d61) Did either engine get installed?? (I am selling the old 4D if anyone wants it)
AUL27151C484
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Four years later and 300 hours on the engine since I last posted on this thread . The Tamd30 runs beautifully, the fuel burn is approximate 2.5GPH@2800RPM=8KNOTS
2.0GPH@2500 RPM=7KNOTS
1.5GPH@2000RPM =6KNOTS
3/4GPH@1500RPM=5KNOTS

Have achieved 10KNOTS@ 3600RPM with this boat/engine combo, but not long enough to calculate the fuel usage. Thanks for reading.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

I installed a Beta 50 in an 85 FC, it replaced a Nissan LD28. Working with Beta Marine is great, they are really DIY focused, great customer service and parts pricing.
With the 50 I cruise easily at 7 knots at 2000 rpm, or there about, very quiet, burns about .75 gph. WOT will get me to a little over 8 knots which rarely if ever do.
One question would be how the Beta 105 would fit using the Hurth trans and the angle of the shaft. Could be some major stringer modifications to make it fit?
hagan_dv
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brunswick, GA

Re: A27 99hp Repower - Yanmar or Beta OR A Nissan LD78 ?

Post by hagan_dv »

Hello, CAPT Dan here. Kind of related to the Yanmar engine replacement. In Dec. 2016, I bought a 1985, 27 Albin Family Cruiser, with a 78hp Nissan diesel, and a great trailer. I keep her parked on trailer in our yard in Brunswick, GA. I take her out into the South Brunswick River, there’s a great lift about 5-6 miles from our home in the county park, Blythe Island. It’s pretty pricey to have her put in, its 650! That’s $6.50 to put her in and $6.50 to her taken out and put back on my trailer; wow what a bargain. Lately I began to have loss of power when underway; first turned out to be the fuel filters and water in fuel. Then had the fuel tank cleaned, found about 6 gal. water, and about 22 gal. of diesel mixed with water. But, then upon further analysis my diesel doctor found the compression was way low. The diesel doctor pronounced that the engine dead, and seems to feel that the engine needs to be replaced.

Does anyone know of a supplier, source or anyone have a used/ reconditioned 1985+ Nissan LD28, Marine diesel or another similar diesel that might fit my FC27 boat?

Does any of our Albin brotherhood have any suggestions of other alternatives? I am anxious to find an engine so that I can keep the True Blue steaming about the warm waters of the Atlantic.
Thanks, Dan

Return to “Albin Maintenance”