• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Opinions: what would you pay for a "new" A25??

Albin's "power cruisers"
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Texas

Opinions: what would you pay for a "new" A25??

Post by Robdog.1 »

Anyone...what do you think the market would be for a brand new A25 today?
If someone built the exact semi-displacement A25 hull with a refreshed modern deck/cabin and modern electronics.
A modern super efficient 3cyl diesel, canvas or hardtop version, two separate cabins with sleeping for 4, a head w a shower, A/C as an option, generator as an option??
I mean a 10-11kt top speed 2014 A25, not a 20 kt Ranger or Nordic.
Who would buy?
How many would be sold?
$50,000?
$65,000?
$75,000?
More?
Just curious.............
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Opinions: what would you pay for a "new" A25??

Post by NickScheuer »

I know two owners of C-Dory 23's. I believe they are a much easier sell to today's potential customer for a trailerable Motor Cruiser.

The Nordic and Ranger have that "Trawler" appeal, which is currently in vogue. People keep calling our A-25 a "Mini Trawler", which is just plain wrong.

In the current market, I believe an A-25 would need a bow thruster.
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robdog.1 »

I agree, thruster would be an easy and welcome addition. Yacht Thruster makes a neat system that is easy to add or retrofit.
I'm just thinking, a new diesel boat, super efficient, ( mine gets 12 SM per gallon), great stability and sea keeping, room for 4 comfortably, trailerable and most of all.... Not $180-$250,000!
There are a lot of boomers retiring that can't afford a $200,000 boat anymore but still want to live their dreams.
The C-Dory is a neat boat, but pretty bare bones on the inside, more utilitarian. I like them, but the "New A25" would be a true mini yacht.
It could be a hull clone made of new modern materials with modern systems. My question is, are current Albin owners the only ones who would want a boat like this, or is there a broader appeal?
Could it be built and sold at a profit for $50,000-$75,000?
Build the mold off of an existing A25 hull, modernize cabin lines, install lightweight modern systems, LED lighting, modular wiring, simple plumbing???

Hhhmmmmm.......
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Well, Per Brohal said the Albin-25 should be kept light-weight, and such a hull would certainly be cheaper to build than a massive one. The Beta Diesel is fairly low in cost. I'd worry that insufficient numbers are interested in a boat capable of only 8-10 kts.

The cartoon shows how I considered modifying my 28' Shearwater Yawl as a Motor Sailer, featuring standing headroom throughout her cabin. The time required for the rebuild led me to reconsider, so I sold her and bought our Albin from a fellow in nearby Madison, WI.

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Here's how our Shearwater Yawl was built. She's a fine sailboat capable of navigating extremely shoal waters, however, her 43" headroom in throughout the saloon got real old for our 70+ bodies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

In the interest of putting a stop to my own "thread drift" above, I should think it would take $7500 for someone to offer a new Albin-25.

This season we've only met one fellow who expressed interest in having a boat like our Albin.

I have a deep dislike for big wakes. The pic shows us moving at 7.6 kts, that maximum our dinghy could be towed without generating a fountain through her dagger board case (fittied with a loose-fitting plug) and swamping her. This winter I will make a tight-fitting rubber "cork" which will allow towing at 10 kts.

Nick
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robdog.1 »

Nick,
It's hard to tell what people want! Ranger is re introducing the 25, Nordics getting high $$, maybe time is right?
I get all kinds of queries about selling my A25 from dock masters to lock keepers.

Wouldn't it be fun to clone an A25 with all new gizmos and materials, build it for $50,000 and sell them for $80,000?
You'd make great margin and buyer gets an awesome, proven, efficient boat. Everyone wins.
Hhhmmmmmmm........
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

It sure would be fun, Robdog!

I went to the Chicago Boat & RV Show last winter after 25 years of attending the Strictly Sail, Chicago Show and was very disappointed. I remember when back in the 1960's the CB&RVS was a major production which included a smattering of sailboats of all sizes. Now it's 99.99% pointy-nose runnabouts lined up rail-to-rail in just one bog room, and not a single sailboat. There was just one Ranger Tug in the room. Obviously, they're exhibiting what they think folks want to buy.

I went to look mostly at gear for our Albin, and was disappointed in that department, too.

It's good to hear that you are encountering so many people interested in an Albin-style boat.

Nick
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robdog.1 »

I think I'll just settle for a red Awlgrip hull and bright white deck paint job this winter, should satisfy my boat needs for a while!
Loving the boat, cruising like crazy, burning no gas!

I'm guessing about $1700 for the hull and $1500 for the deck and cabin top. Any experience painting an A25?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My Albin burns no gas either, but she does burn some diesel :wink:

I think the hull paint job (Awlgrip or Imron) could be more in the $200 per ft range when all said and done.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robdog.1 »

Maybe that's why it's so hard to start!!!!

I got a quote for the hull paint job from a yard in Punta Gorda for $1700, but the deck and cabin are a lot more complicated. Probably $2000-2500. Your mileage may vary!!
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I figure on painting the deck and top myself in the Spring with Easy Poxy or Brightsides. Should be less than $150 for a few coats. he sides will look just fine with some compounding and polish.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Robdog.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robdog.1 »

Let us know how it works! I might do my deck and cabin myself also, but the boat will winter in Florida before I resume my Loop trip in March.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I have to wait for Spring temps - it's now too cold at night for the paint to set properly. No doubt I will report in then.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

I just used Easypoxy to paint the exterior of the 84 fc I'm working on. Roll and tip is pretty easy it you have everything laid out before you start. I did it myself. Do be careful that you primer any repairs you do as light colored Easypoxy will ghost. I would post a photo but I'm not sure how to do it from here.
Albin w rubrail and anchorplatform installed.jpg

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”