• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tow Vehicle for A27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Tow Vehicle for A27FC

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Hi everyone, I am having a trailer made for our Albin27FC and was wondering what other Albin27 owners use as tow vehicles. The distance for towing will be 600-700 miles . Thanks. Lorne, Winnipeg Manitoba.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: Tow Vehicle for A27FC

Post by coolchange »

Heavy boat and trailer require heavy duty tow (and stopping ) power.

I have a Ford F-250 with a 6.0 diesel....buy new or do your homework on getting into used diesel...I would highly recommend a pre-purchase evaluation by a pro diesel expert. Mine runs great..I got a cheap clean vehicle and put another 5K into the engine and can now tow anywhere anytime (4WD makes ramps a breeze)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Thanks for the info Coolchange, the diesel 4x4 sounds like the way to go.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

The maximum tow capacity of my 2001 Chevy 2500HD (diesel) is 14,400 lbs, which should be well within the weight of the A27FC and trailer. But know the weight you have to haul and then make sure it falls within the specs of whatever truck you're looking at. You shouldn't have much trouble though.
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
obertra9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by obertra9 »

If your towing needs are only occasional, consider renting a 3/4 ton from Enterprise. I used one of those to tow from Maine to Cincinnati, 1000 miles. It was a diesel. They had all three makes available (Chev, Ford, and Dodge).
Since then I have purchased a 2006 Chev 2500 4x4 with a 6.0 gas engine. I have towed a total of 1200 miles with it and it is adequate if you do not demand instant acceleration.
Although you did not ask, the bow will change elevation by about 18 inches as you pull out of the water. So it will pull away from your winch and bow cone. To allow for this the winch needs to be well forward of the bow cone, I have mine mounted in the truck bed. The other alternative is to not pull on the bow, but instead tie to the stern. Create a bridle from the stern and then hook the winch strap to the bridle.
Roger Obert
A27SC - Solitude II
Roger A. Obert
1990 Albin 27 SC
Solitude II
Cincinnati, Ohio
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Thank you Binford and Obertra9. Great to hear that the 6.0 gas will work also. Our A27 doesn't have a bow hook, so the idea of a stern bridle sounds very interesting. Great idea.
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Custom triple axle trailer, 2006 Ram 3500 diesel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Piece of cake with that rig. I've towed all kinds of stuff behind my son's 3500 Dodge single axle. Hopefully you have the flip mirrors that extend out.
Enjoy the ride.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

The truck does have the towing mirrors, and work great. The truck is a 6 speed manual with 4.10 gears, so it was almost effortless to tow the boat and trailer. Total distance towed was approx. 700 miles
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nice setup. A guy I know tows his 35' CB with a 3500 Dodge diesel dually back and forth to FL every winter. His 3500 is working a tad harder than yours :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I tow my A25 with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4X4 w/5.9L Diesel. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down, & I've been driving since 1969. Obviously an Albin 25 weighs much less than a 27. Mine tips the truck scale at 6,850 lbs with trailer as measured. But I have towed a Catalina 25 sailboat that weighed 8,300 lbs all up with trailer using this truck. And that was traversing 6% mountain grades in Arizona and California summer desert heat.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Capt Ram
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lake Worth - Dry dock

Post by Capt Ram »

Hi folks, ive had my 1990- 27 since 94 currently doinf a major overhaul on it and tow it with my toyota 4 banger, pulling its easy stopping its the hard part, i not fix the trailer breaks
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

got this pic as we were leaving to take her up to Joe in MI

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”