• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LEAKY ENCLOSURE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

LEAKY ENCLOSURE

Post by johnmurray »

Like many Albin owners, I have an all-around enclosure with windows. It is generally satisfactory, but the installer seemed unable to arrange a reasonably water tight seal at the points where the enclosure meets the gunwhale of the cockpit. When it rains, water runs down the side of the boat and flows into the cockpit (and drains out through the scuppers). The openings that cause the problems are shown in the three photos below. Has anyone come up with a way to improve such an arrangement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Chris & Dale

Re: LEAKY ENCLOSURE

Post by Chris & Dale »

John,
Last year we had a brand new enclosure installed and the canvas installer and I talked long about this very subject, and the bottom line is that you just can't get it "water tight". Like you, ours drains out the scuppers. Your gaps appear a little bigger than ours, and we actually have most of the canvas on top of or over the side of the gunnels, which helps. Probably the most annoying aspect is that the bolster gets saturated and takes a while to drain and dry. I will tell you that when we travelled from Southport to Charleston and back in January in the cold rain part of the way, the little bit of leakage, compared to how wet and cold we would have been, was of no consequence. The majority of 28 TE's I've seen don't have a full enclosure, so I guess we're in the comfortable minority. I'll take some pictures next time of some of the details and post them. Good Luck!
Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

Post by Graeme K »

John,
Just spotted this post. Feel bad not sending details on what I did. Give us a few days to do a Post in Albin Maintenance.
At the moment I'm putting a new transmission output shaft seal in. With Spring just a few days off, it will be all systems go.

Graeme
2005 Albin 30FC
rellwood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Catharines Ontario

Post by rellwood »

John,
I assume that the leakage problem is on the starboard & port gunwhales, not at the stern. On our 2002 28TE a piece of starboard approx. 1x2 was fastened lengthwise at the interior edge of the gunwhale and a bead of caulk applied at the deck & 1x2. The dome fasteners are attached to the 1" part of the 1x2,...no leakage. I use a tool sold by Shurhold to fasten and remove the domes.
rellwood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Catharines Ontario

Post by rellwood »

My previous post may have been flawed and perhaps pics will help explain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”