• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Just bought my first boat, 31TE, twin Yanmars, 2000

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Just bought my first boat, 31TE, twin Yanmars, 2000

Post by Mike Ebert »

Greetings gentlemen, I thought I would introduce myself as a new member. Got a great deal, I think, on a 31'er. It surveyed close to perfect and has every fishing toy known to man. Outriggers, downriggers, Flo-scans, autopilot, windlass, two year old Raymarine radar, chartplotter and sonar with twin screens. It also has a trolling valve which really let's you slow it down with accuracy. Some reasonable clean-up which I have just about finished. I bought it for Salmon, Tuna, Rock Cod and Halibut fishing off the Northern California coast. Can't wait for the season to open. I look forward to using this site for the help I know I will need.

Regards,
Mike Ebert
Sausalito, CA
"CATCHALL" :D
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Mike,

Welcome and congratulations!

(Now - go post some pictures! I want to see this beauty! 8) )

Best of luck with the new boat.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome Mike! That sounds like a great boat. It would take me a whole season to learn how to use all those toys. Let us know when you post pictures.
Did he say first boat? How many dollars have I wasted all these years before I bought my Albin?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Welcome Mike,

The north coast is the place to be for Salmon and Rock Fish and the boat you bought will make it that much more enjoyable. Let's get some pictures up so we can all see your new toy. I have my boat over in Alameda at Grand Marina. I'll be watching for you out there.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

As requested, photos of the "CATCHALL"

Post by Mike Ebert »

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Mike, I want your boat. If my wife sees it I'll be buying a new boat thats for sure!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:Mike, I want your boat. If my wife sees it I'll be buying a new boat thats for sure!
I want his boat too! And if I buy one I'll be getting a new wife as well!! :shock:

I love the 31's, same lines as the 28 but more of everything!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Man I like that boat! Does it come in a convertible?

Mike - Resize your photos. If you make them smaller we won't have scroll back and forth.

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

Yeah, it comes in a convertible. But out here on the west coast, you're not likely to ever see one. There is one convertible A28 in SF bay, but so far as I konw, it's the only convertible TE boat out here.

Don
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Out west the hardtop definitely seems to be prefered, and up here in the PNW, most 28TE's I've seen have had the Alaskan Bulkhead. Those that didn't, had it pernanetly enclosed with canvas.

I doubt our weather is that much different than in the Northeast. In fact, I think our more mild climate is what drives this, as it encourages people to use their boats year-round. And while it's nicer here in January than in the Northeast, it's not exactly sunbathing weather. Also, overnighting seems to be more popular from what I can gather. This means owners are willing to sacrifice fishing efficiency for cabin space. The deck house of the 28TE may be somewhat spartan, but it's better than nothing.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Congratulations. Looks like the former owner was like the former owner of mine. A gadget man. For 1996 it looks like everything that could be had was had. Age has overtaken most gadgets which is OK because I don't need radar boating in a place which never has fog & an autopilot is hardley missed when the longest run is seldom more than an hour.

Welcome. There must be a few other 31s around here.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Welcome Mike!

There are a few of us 31 owners around, most with single engines. Your boat looks like a real winner.

When you get out fishing, I'd love a report on the outriggers. I've been toying with putting outriggers on my boat, and it looks like you have an innovative solution. Are the handles in the hatches below the riggers?

Anyhow, welcome to the board. Pretty boat (if I do say so myself).

Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

Outriggers aren't that hard to install. I've done them on a couple 28's. Typically, I do something like a Lee jr. mount with a 1 or 2 spreader pole if they want trick, or just a multi-piece colapsable pole if they don't want the spreaders.

I usually install the mounts in the sail panels behind the pilot house windows, and isntall an upper bracket on the edge of the hard top with a quick release. You have good access to install your backing plates from inside the cabin in these locations. You may have to relocate the grab handles somewhat, but there's still room for them.

Not sure how to post pics right off, but I've got a couple I could email out if you like. They aren't the most detailed, but it might help.

D.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Outriggers

Post by Mike Ebert »

I will try to take some close-up photos of the outriggers and the mountings this week-end. I'll post next week if I don't sink it.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

GOOD TOPIC...
I am interested in putting outriggers on my 28TE and am looking for options.
On my last boat on put Lee T-Top outriggers on the hardtop, they worked well and were out of the way. I could jump up on the gunnel and be able to hold onto the pilothouse grabrails while walking up to the front of the boat, all while not having to go around the outriggers (they where on the top). The you would push a release button and they would swing out. But they would not lay down and it made it difficult going under some bridges.
I would like something silmilar but would like to be able to drop them backwards to reduce hight.
If anyone has pictures of their outrigger system and comments....

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “General Discussion”