• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Documented Vessel Info request

Albin's "power cruisers"
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Documented Vessel Info request

Post by Desertboater »

I have purchased a '71 Albin 25 as a retirement project and would like to know if any of you have your boat documented through the US Coast Guard. Since our home port would be Las Vegas, Nevada, there is no property tax or even sales tax on purchase of a boat from a private party. Therefore there is no tax consequence to either state registration or USCG. Given that, is there any overall advantage to USCG documented registration?

In addition, there is a good chance that we will be in the Pacific Northwest or in the Carolina's due to the presence of friends & family. Given the great saltwater cruising in those areas we will probably have the boat when we visit. Is there an advantage to USCG documented vessel registration in these areas?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Re: Documented Vessel Info request

Post by carolmarie »

Given your circumstances , I can't think of a single advantage of documenting the boat except for the fact that you would not be required to place numbers in both sides of the bow. Besides, documenting would cost more than a few bucks.
carolmarie, 2001, 28TE, 6LP-STE
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Documentation is supposed to confer immunity against the oddities of local laws, rules and sheriffs and I'm told it will make crossing the international border much easier than otherwise.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Desertboater »

Thanks for the information. I'll look into the costs.

One thing I have heard is that on inland waters where few USCG documented vessels are seen, the lack of numbers on the boat will attract attention from local law enforcement such as Fish & Game.
Desertboater
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

In Florida state registration is mandatory. If you arrive with only documentation you must get Florida state registration at once. If you have a state registration from any state other than Florida you have a 90 day grace period. If the boat is documented I think you are required to fly an American flag on the stern. Federal Documentation is simple and inexpensive.
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

Dudley wrote:Federal Documentation is simple and inexpensive.
I've personally documented 2 used boats which had never been documented previously and I've found it to be a bit tedious - Getting the required USCG admeasurement completed took me awhile . . . . you would have thought nobody had ever documented an Albin 27 Aft Cabin cruiser before. As for 'inexpensive' I guess it's a matter of personal definition. The official fee is $133 and I spent a bit more on the paperwork

Don
Tahoma
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Great Loop

Post by Tahoma »

As a NW cruiser in a documented sailboat, I haven't found that crossing the US/Canada border is any quicker than it would be without documentation. Washington state requires that documented vessel register with the state and pay the fee. We are issued a WA number but are not required to display it. We are required to display the registration sticker.

We documented our sailboat when we first built her for ease of travel in Mexico. I believe the documentation helped south of the border but, again, doesn't seem to make any difference north of the border.

We also have an Albin 27 on the east coast (doing the loop) which is registered in Washington state and carries WA numbers. This past summer we crossed back into the US at Drummond Island (MI) with no problems. It was quick and easy.

I'd think the documentation would not be an advantage for you.

P.S. Our Albin 27 is also in Illinois for the winter....
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Desertboater »

Thanks very much to all for the info. Still have not made up my mind on the need/utility of USCG documentation, but these inputs provide good insights.
Desertboater
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Hey Desertboater!
We documented our 40' because, I believe, the length required us to. As mentioned, documenting does not require you to put reg numbers on the side of your boat. We traveled the Hudson many times passing Coast Guard vessels, traveled the East coast on the ICW from the upper Hudson down to Florida, traveled with and docked next to the Coast Guard without incident. Passed many local and state officials without a problem. You are required to have your Doc numbers on the inside of your vessel fastened in a permanent way. I don't remember the fee for the Documentation, but it was a one time fee. You do have to re register each year. They send you a notice well in advance, sign it and mail or fax it to them and they mail a new document to you. DON'T let an independent do it for you!!! We learned the hard way (they charged us 75.00). Do it yourself...VERY simple!
Now, I don't believe we were bothered because of our length. Your length without reg numbers on port and starboard might draw attention. Hard saying.
Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”