• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What kind of anchor do you carry?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

What kind of anchor do you carry?

Post by Mariner »

We carry a Bruce on the bow roller, but are in the market for a backup/stern anchor. Previously we had a Fortress danforth-style, but that was lost in the fire and to be quite honest, it didn't work worth a s__t in our deep water rocky anchorages. I'm considering a plow this time as it should give good performance in mud, which is also common here.

What kind of scope is required for a plow?
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

You can never carry too many anchors or have too much scope. We use a Delta as our primary anchor with 30' of chain and 200' of line. That anchor has held every time, it sets quickly and turns with the tide very well. I sets nicely in mud, sand and weeds that we have here. We have a Bruce as our second anchor up front and a Fortress as a stern anchor or if we are in a different type of bottom. Most people here in Long Island sound that anchor a lot use a CQR or a Delta. Don't know if that helps at all but just my two cents. Denis
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

stern anchor

Post by AlMar »

O.K., time for a little education here. I've gotten quite a few hours under my belt bringing AlMar up from the keys, but it was almost always from marina to marina. spent only one night in the ICW at Daytona. Why, when , and how, do I use a stern anchor? :? BTW, I carry a Delta on the bow and a Danforth in reserve, also in the bow anchor locker.
AlMar
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Your stern anchor is for use when you expect light winds from varying directions through the night. You should only use a stern anchor in a very protected anchorage where the wind will not be enough to pull the anchors free. It is not necessary to use a stern anchor unless the anchorage is crowded or very small. You may choose to use one to keep your boat oriented a certain way. This is common if you are expecting a particularly spectacular sunset, sunrise or if you want to keep the stern towards shore for swimming, etc..

Just to clarify, the stern anchor should NEVER be used alone, unless you have run aground and are using it to free yourself. It is intended only to be used in concert with the bow anchor. This is called a "Bahama Tie". I assume becuase it is common in the Bahamas or something. Having never been to the Bahamas, I wouldn't know. When anchoring Bahama style, it's important to look at those anchored around you and be sure that you're not going to be interfering with their swing circles. When you Bahama tie and everyone around you is anchored conventionally, you'll be the only one who doesn't move around with the wind and current. So in effect, YOU will be the one moving all over the place, even though you're technically sitting still.

Here in the PNW, when you get up north in to Canada, it is common practice to stern tie. That is, set the anchor about 3-500' from the shore line, and then run a roughly 1-200' line from the stern to a sturdy tree on land. This is due to the extremely deep anchorages they encounter up there (often well over 100' deep).

Bruce anchors are by far the most popular here due to the rocky bottoms. Though plows are common as well since even a rocky bay will often have a muddy bottom. And although Bruce's get poor ratings in muddy bottoms, most here have found them to hold quite well in mud and their versatility earns them the spot on the roller.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I have always had a danforth on my other boats. This one is a plow. Our bottoms around here are muck or sand. The depths in the Chesapeake are shallow. I haven't anchored yet, I'll let you know my thoughts later.

I do have an extra danforth that will be kept as a spare and for stern anchor. We use the sten anchor quite a bit when backing up to one of the islands for swiming or in one of the more crowed anchorages. I never spent the night with a stern anchor. I just swing with the tide and the rest of the experienced (I hope) boaters. I've read about the Bahama tie but never tried it. I try to set scope at 6-1 but in tight quarters, calm water, and short visits I have set at 4-1. But, my last boat weighed in at 6500 lbs. The TE is 10,000 I believe.

This is my first windlass so that is another learning process.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

What's there to learn about the windlass? The button labeled "UP" brings the anchor up. The button labeled "DOWN" brings the anchor down. Other than that, it's exactly the same as doing it by hand.

You still have to motor forward over the anchor to bring it up. You still should secure the anchor line to the cleat. You still have to use the same scope and setting methods. The only thing that changes is that your arms aren't worn out when you're done.
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

windlass remote

Post by AlMar »

You didn't say if you had one, but a remote for the fordeck is available and really very handy if your single handed or fouled.
AlMar
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
I guess when you put it that way, it's not a big deal is it? <smile>
Almar,
No remote on the foredeck. I did test it the other day. Everything seems to be working as it should.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”