• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

dual 6v house batteries for A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

dual 6v house batteries for A25

Post by Brian »

I have installed a new Espar heater and therefore would like to stay on the hook for longer periods without starting the engine for battery charging. We currently have two 12v batteries (one starting and one house) and have had a problem of not enough "juice" for the heater to run for extended periods of time.
I am considering swapping out one of the 12v's and installing two 6v "golf cart" batteries in series for a 12v house system.
Has anyone done this in their A25?
If so what type of battery have you used?
what is a good location?...(I have installed a holding tank under helm so not much room there now)
I'm thinking of the bottom of the Port side seat storage area...too far away?
Brian
Bopop
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Seattle

Re: dual 6v house batteries for A25

Post by Bopop »

Hello Brian -

Just trying to catch up on some neglected forum reading and came across your invite for replies about using golf cart batteries on the A25. I too like to hang on the hook away from the chaos of most marinas. My heater is a Wabasto unit; it sure extends the cruising season down here in Puget Sound.

With that in mind (instead of swapping-out), I added a pair of series-connected 6V golf cart batt's installed under the port side cockpit seat access panel to solve the ballast issue. To protect the terminals I cut a 1/4" thick plywood cover that makes for a neat installation that still lets me use the rest of that very deep compartment. I then cut the alligator clamps off a set of auto jumper cables and added crimp-on terminal connectors to connect to a secondary switch that mates with the existing house batt (#2 side) and 1000W inverter. For that 10-12' run I would've preferred using #4 wire but the #8 size handles the loads OK.

Hope that helps! Happy cruising . . .

Pat
A25
"PaSha"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”