• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Painted letters

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Painted letters

Post by kjg1951 »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove painted letters from the transome of a 28 albin.. We are leaving the name as is but need to change the hailing port as the boat is documented.. thanks
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Painted letters

Post by amber jj »

Oven cleaner works great.I did our numbers in December.Just let it sit for 4 or 5 minutes and then used a saftey razor scraper to take them off. You may need to repeat the steps once or twice but it should work fine.I then used number 800 wet sandpaper followed up with rubbing compound to get rid of the ghosting.Good luck Bob
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Re: Painted letters

Post by JFOkie »

Oven cleaner work great....but, here are some suggestions to follow.

Get a clear plastic paint tarp and place it over the transom using blue painters tape. Cut out the area around the name and then tape the cut out area where the name is so that only the name is showing. The reason you do this is because the oven cleaner will turn the surrounding gel coat a brownish yellow color from the over spray; you want to minimize the amout of hull that the over spray hits. Wear rubber dishwashing gloves when cleaning the transom.

Let it sit for as long as it says on the dircetions on the can, then you can easily remove the painted name. I used a plastic paint scraper with slightly rounded edges, a scotch-brite sponge and a lot of clean water. The paint will come off easily, just watch for the spray foam as it drips down over the plastic tarp so that it doesn't get on the boat.

Once the name is removed, you need to do a good job of cleaning off the residue and area where the name was. Remove the plastic tarp and clean. I used Soft Scrub with a scotch-brite pad and that did a great job cleaning up the transom. Once complete it should be ready for the new name!

It's not too much work and it's pretty easy to do. Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion”