• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001....28te with 370 Cummins

Offshore25
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bright waters NY

2001....28te with 370 Cummins

Post by Offshore25 »

I'm close to purchasing one of these. Anything I should look out for on this vintage hull and motor. Boat has low hours and may have sat for a year. Batteries replaced and everything runs as per marina. Any issues with the Cummins and what is the difference between this motor and the QSB.

Thanks

Rob
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 2001....28te with 370 cimmins

Post by RobS »

Engine will most likely check out ok but you will have to do your part to take care of the likely deferred maintenance by prior owner(s), most importantly the seawater side of the engine. On sea trial have the engine photo-tached and see what she turns WOT. I believe that engine should turn 2900-3000 with a good load on the boat. A $25 membership on www.boatdiesel.com is highly recommended, especially when you have a Cummins aboard. I would secure the model and serial number and some photos and put a post on BD.. Good luck. Brightwaters, huh? Where's the boat?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
poillon1

Re: 2001....28te with 370 Cummins

Post by poillon1 »

We too have a 28TE w/ 330 Cummins (1998), located on Long Island (Mt Sinai). Feel free to contact us for any info. We have been privileged enough to have a Dutch Ship Captain and Chief Engineer on mega yachts and North Sea tugs assist us with our engine maintainence over the years. Welcome aboard :P
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 2001....28te with 370 Cummins

Post by Pitou »

As RobS commented the Seawater Side is the only special concern. Specifically the aftercooler. The vintage you are looking at and the one I own had an update to it adding a purge valve to relieve condensation on the air side of the cooler. If it has not yet been added I would plan on a new aftercooler, Parts ~ $ 2750 - $ 3000 +/- 4-5 hours labor. Cummins never notified owners of the update and let them discover this on their own. I would have preferred to spend $ 58 for the purge valve and some labor ... oh well, it's a boat. Otherwise normal routine maintenance.

High idle : 3300 - 3400 RPM
Low idle : 550 - 650 RPM
370 Horsepower rated at : 3000 RPM
Loaded RPM : 3100 - 3150

I agree that all Cummins owners should join boatdiesel.com. I certainly get my $ 25 worth each year by just searching for info. Good luck with your pending search.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”