• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Solid or cored hull?-A27

Albin's "power cruisers"
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Solid or cored hull?-A27

Post by packham »

I am in the process of ordering a transducer and am wondering what type of hull the A27 has...is it a solid fibreglass or cored hull. Thanks, Roger
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Solid or cored hull?-A27

Post by hetek »

Hi Roger -

I just replaced the transducer in my 1984 A27 FC last week. It is a thru-hull type located just aft of the battery platform on the port side of the hull. The bottom is solid fiberglass from what I could see.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

hi hetek, thanks for the info...solid is what i thought also... if your transducer is performing well then it must be a solid hull as apparently the thru-hull transducers don't work well thru a cored hull??
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I would have made the same mistake - sorry for not clarifying...

"Thru-hull" means that the transducer mounts through a hole in the hull. The business end is wet in the water.

"In-Hull" is where the transducer is glued to the inner hull surface and shoots through the hull's fiberglass. Yes, you are correct - if there was a cored hull the shoot-through method of the in-hull transducer would not work.

I've had in-hull transducers in boats I've owned in the past but I've never installed them (they were on the boat when I bought it). One I had trouble with so I thought I would try and rebed it in the glue. Found the problem: a large quarter sized air bubble in the old glue. Transducers don't like air bubbles in glue, nor the air cells in the coring material.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

You can test a shoot-through transducer in the hull by putting it in a bag of water.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rwcoulter

Post by rwcoulter »

I'm thinking of installing a shoot-thru transducer in the bilge under the standing locker in the main cabin. I already have one mounted at the stern. This would put a second one fairly forward in the boat and be a fairly direct wiring conduit to the helm. Our home port is the 30,000 Islands of Georgian Bay and it's very treacherous with rocks, etc making a stern-mount less than ideal. Any thoughts?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

You could try Rob's suggestion by putting the transducer in a bag of water. Then you lay the bag on the hull. Have a helper hold the transducer straight for you, and by that I mean perpendicular to the hull. Simulate the position it will be in when glued in place. I've heard of that trick before but I think I misunderstood it when I tried it. I put the transducer on top of the water bag (a ziplock baggie full of H2O). Rob's way should work better.

Bottom line is you just have to experiment sometimes to find the best placement.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”