• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Drier bilge

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Drier bilge

Post by sweetwater »

I was looking through the anchor well on my 28 and noticed that the windlass wires pass right through the floor of the well. The anchor well drains are on the side of the well and are a good 3/8 inch higher then the floor. Sooo all the water from rain, and the wet line drain into my bilge prior to overboard. Today I pulled the wires from the windlass, slipped a stainless flag stantion over them and slid it down to the base of the well. I screwed and siliconed it in place. Now all the water in the well goes out the drains. The water would need to be 2 inches deep to go over the stantion and into the bilge.... Just FYI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Drier bilge

Post by RobS »

Good idea with using the stantion acting as a chase cover. I lined the floor and partway up the walls of the anchor locker with drideck, cheap & easy, helps the locker drain and the rope doesn't sit in the wet

What was the outcome with the tranny? and the wet elbow?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Well, the elbow was great and installed easily. Tranny is at LI marine transmissions and while its out, replacing the sloppy cutlass bearing. Hopefully this week it will be installed. How long do you find the cutlass bearings last?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I guess Paul is rebuilding it? What feedback did he give regarding it's failure?
The cutlass bearing life is greater on our boats than a standard inboard with open struts where the bearing(s) would be more subjected to sand, etc.
I guess it depends on proper engine alignment and being sure the water passage through the housing is kept clear. Life expectancy? more than 5, but less than 10years? Maybe a 1,000 hours? It's subjective..
Sounds like a good time to do the shaft seal too.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”