• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 31/32 TE and Pursuit 315 OS

sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Albin 31/32 TE and Pursuit 315 OS

Post by sablack »

Hello all,

I have been looking for my next "near perfect" boat for about a year now. After a lot of surfing and reading, I have narrowed it down to basically 2 boats: Albin 31 TE (now called the 32 TE) or the Pursuit 315 OS. Yes, I know they are a rather different style boats, but they both have their upside and compromises. Here are my key points of interest:

1) Overall build quality / durability / fit-finish needs to be high
2) Needs to meet the requirements of an average angler + room for friends to fish (50/60% of the time)
3) Needs to make the non-angler happy i.e. nice day cruising with lots of folks or short overnight for 2-4
4) Needs to be relatively low maintenance (as much as any boat can be)
5) Boating will primarily be done in the Chesapeake Bay, with occasional runs to Offshore
6) Needs to handle ruff weather well when needed (especially the short chop of the Bay)

I think both boats can meet the above, but I am really interested in getting solid input from current owners. One main difference between these is one is a single or twin inboard, and the other has twin Yamaha outboards. I have owned outboards, as well as an I/O (will not again)...but not inboards, especially diesel. I will continue to surf this sight (great info), but welcome anyones input on either/both boats.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Albin 31/32 TE and Pursuit 315 OS

Post by RobS »

Point 1: Pursuit is really top notch, I have owned two, a 28 and a 21 and have been aboard many others.
Points 2,3 & 6: The Albin will suite you very well.
Point 4: The twin diesels are not high maintenance but they will require more than the Yam OB's
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Go 31 Albin all the way. Love the twin diesels, yes it cost a bit, but the security and handling aspect is worth it to me, Fishing ,cruising, entertaining, camping, plenty of square feet to party.. only things i really wish i had was the wood work that i have seen on a Pursuit ( and maybe a bit more speed, lol) Good luck
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:...only things i really wish i had was the wood work that i have seen on a Pursuit ( and maybe a bit more speed, lol) Good luck
Eddie, You must mean the cabin interior woodwork, right?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Yes,,, I love the cabin wood work on the Pursuits I have seen,, but I guess but for a few big bucks and a good cabinet maker anything is possible
And of course comparing twin gas outboards and twin diesels are like comparing the tastes of apples and oranges. Fuel costs must be much higher with the gas
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The Pursuit's fuel burn (GPH) would be higher but the boat should be faster than the Albin so the fuel cost (MPG) may be similar. However, the sea conditions will not always allow the Pursuit to cruise comfortably at cruising speed, which the Albin does even when the sea conditions are not the best. Plus, I prefer to have the safer and more stable diesel fuel onboard than gasoline.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

An interesting thread, since I owned a 31 with single 450 Cummins for 9 years, and now a Pursuit 315 OS.

The Albin was bigger, heavier and slower. It was built like a tank, but the finish was considerably more utilitarian than the Pursuit. It developed a lot of stress cracks in relatively short order. Pursuit wins the fit and finish contest hands down, but we're looking at boats here, not pianos.

Both boats are easy to fish with a crew of 4, but you can put 6 on the Albin easier. 6 folks fishing would be too crowded on the Pursuit.

The Pursuit is a weekender for 2 at best. The Albin wins the cruising with a crowd or 4 people overnight category, simply based on size. Albin's beam is 12'3" versus the Pursuit's 10'6". That makes the living space on the Albin almost double the size. The head in the Pursuit is big for a 31, but the Albin's is bigger still with a separate shower stall.

The Pursuit will be less maintenance. The Yamahas come with a 6 year warranty and don't require much more than an oil and lower unit lube change every 100 hours. My dealer actually pulls the boat out of a water at a ramp and takes it to his shop. Diesel inboards are considerably more complicated systems.

I fish offshore, 60 miles out. This is the only reason I sold the Albin. It was too slow. 18 knots, albeit 18 knots through about anything. So far, so good on the Pursuit in the ocean, but you can tell it's not as heavy a boat, although if I slowed it down to 18 knots it might feel a bit more "Albinesque".

Surprisingly, the Pursuit is more economical than the Albin. The Albin got 1 nautical mile per gallon at 18 knots, the Pursuit gets 1.4 at 30 knots.

A couple of other thoughts. Be careful of pre 2010 Pursuits. There was a issue of gas smells in the cabin caused by unlined fuel tanks. Not dangerous, but annoying. Pursuit made some fixes under warranty, but could not correct it 100%. It goes away once you open up the cabin.

Otherwise, Pursuit factory and dealer support is second to none. It is easy to call real people and get real answers. This board is your Albin factory support.

The 300 Yamahas are more efficient that the 250s.

Anything else, pm me and I'll give you my number so you can call and ask questions.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

A lot has been offered here on the two boats. I do know at least one person in BC with the Pursuit who is looking to go to the Albin 28 or 31. I have owned over the pass years many gas boats: Several Whalers, a Grady White Off Shore, lake boats and the last boat was a Luhrs 290 twin yanmar diesel.

Hands down I recomend for safety and life of the engines you go with the diesel. If Pursuit makes a diesel I am unaware of that fact. I will say the Pursuit is a really fine looking boat. Will you have the same support with that boat you will have in the Albin Group?

The 31 is a wonderful boat for all the things you are asking about. There is a beautiful Pursuit at the Anacortes Marina where my Albin is located. Large twin gas. Just remember that todays gas is junk and while you can buy good fuel in some area's for non auto use it is very expensive.

Love the Albin.

W. Howard Wells
2006 Albin 35te Sportfisher Conv.
Anacortes, Wa.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”