• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25--outboard and dinghy recommendations?

Albin's "power cruisers"
PeteSharp
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA (Squalicum Marina)

Albin 25--outboard and dinghy recommendations?

Post by PeteSharp »

Hi, I just bought a great 1973 Albin 25 Deluxe. Just in case the engine quits on me (it was owned by a diesel mechanic who took great care of it before I bought it so I'm not terribly worried about it) does anyone suggest a certain size or type outboard? So far I'm thinking a 6hp could suffice in a pinch. The boat, Summer Song, has a swim step with motor bracket but am also wondering if the stern rail would be strong enough to carry it when not in use to keep it out away from the salt water.
And what about a dinghy? I have a 10 foot Achilles but it just seems too big and heavy to be practical. Any other ideas for a good, capable inflatable? Thank you very much. Pete
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin 25--outboard and dinghy recommendations?

Post by leprof31 »

The stern rail is strong enough, but you will need to buy a bracket to rest the engine on the rail. I do have one of those bracket on my A25 (a square bracket in white hard plastic ).
PeteSharp
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA (Squalicum Marina)

Post by PeteSharp »

Thank you. I do have a bracket on the rail already from a previous owner. I'm just a bit hesitant about trusting it with a 6 hp engine that weights at least 55lb. I also hate to mar the clean lines with a spare engine and fuel tank. But function before fashion for sure. I'm looking at an older Merc 6 hp 2 stroke tomorrow--$400.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

2 stoke, very good choice... light and easy to carry in a car trunk. And someone told me once, Mercury are the best engine to ride in the salt water.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have a used 2stroke 5hp Merc and a new 4stroke 6hp Yamaha. They both have there advantages but the light weight of the Merc sure is nice and she runs as good as the new Yamaha. The Yamaha sips fuel.
Last edited by RobS on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Pete, I have had many 2 stroke OB's, mostly Mercury and Nissan and they have all run great. You can't beat the light weight of the 2 stroke and they're pretty basic to maintain.

As for a dingy, it depends on what you intend to do with it and the waters that you will be using it in. I'm on the Piscataqua River which leads to the Atlantic (NH Seacoast) and the current rips with the change of tide. I have a 10' RIB with a Merc 9.9hp 2 stroke that is extremly stable, runs great and very safe given the extreme elements of the river. I also have a 5hp Nissan 2 stroke that I use on my RIB when I cruise and hoist the dingy up on the davits. The brackets work great holding the OB on the rail (I have a 1987 Albin 27 FC). Not sure what model Achilles you have, but they make some good dingy's.

Welcome to the group!
John
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Hi for what its worth I have some aluminium davits on the rear deck of my Albin 25 that carry my 2.6 meter inflatable with a solid inner floor. On a stern outboard bracket I have a 4 hp Mariner Outboard. I`ve tried the outboard as a back up motor and at just over half revs it gives me good steerage way. Its no way strong enough to push against the tides in my cruising areas, I don`t know how big I would have to go but at least I can keep out of trouble and maybe get home or until help arrives should my main motor give up. When the inflatable is on her davits, I turn it sideways so it doesn`t fill with rainwater. Hope this helps.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”