• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hatch gas spring lifts

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hatch gas spring lifts

Post by jms02050 »

Hi -

Looking for replacement gas spring lifts on an '03 engine box. One spring is broken, and both are extremely worn with little markings left. Brand name appears to be Attwood SpringLife, and I was able to pull what I think is a model number off one of the springs - SL26-30-1... yet neither Attwood nor Google show a direct replacement.

I've got a msg out to Attwood about replacements, but was hoping somebody has already figured out this little mystery.

Thx,
Jim
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Hatch gas spring lifts

Post by RobS »

You can try this guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Just to close this out. Dave Stevens from Attwood followed up. The springs are Attwood SL 26 series, 30 pound springs. They're available in at http://www.backtoboating.com.

-Jim
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks for "closing this out" as you put it. Most helpful to the group that way and glad it worked out for you.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

I had the same problem on my 31TE. Could not find a replacement. I tried 100 pound springs on my center engine hatch and they didn't have enough lifting power the hatch just fell. I found a guy in Canada that rebuilds them. He did a great job. He was surprised that the good spring had 400 pounds of lift. He rebuilt both, forgot exact amount but inexpensive. I don't have his info at the moment but will post it.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Well, my "same spec" Attwood replacements won't hold the hatch up, and one of them keeps popping off the stud, so if you've got that contact info, please pass along. I'd love to hear what other folks have for springs This has turned into quite the head scratcher...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jms02050 wrote:..and one of them keeps popping off the stud...
Do you have the small wire keepers in place? The spring socket end should snap onto the ball and then the wire keeper goes in the socket and snaps onto it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

I'm sorry for the delay. I had my struts repaired by Strutwise Technical Services. (604) 589-1200. They were a pleasure to work with. I had My struts rebuilt by them. I had one good one and a bad one for the center engine hatch of my 31TE. The good strut had about 400 lbs of lifting force (per Strutwise). They rebuilt them, cleaned them up and sent them back to me quickly. I could not find new replacements. He charged me 80.00 a piece.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

A success story: Replaced the 30 lb with 90lb springs and they hold the hatch up perfectly. Still had a problem with the starboard side spring popping off the mounting stud when I closed the hatch. It became apparent that the spring was hitting the hatch opening on the way down and was basically getting pushed off the mounting stud. The solution was to add a 1/4" piece of Starboard behind the mounting plate. This got the stud out beyond the opening just enough and the problem was solved!
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”