• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine compartment noise.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rwcoulter

Engine compartment noise.

Post by rwcoulter »

Does anyone have any advice as to the proper way to insulate the engine compartment of an Albin 27FC?
jeminmystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mason island marina, mystic, CT

Re: Engine compartment noise.

Post by jeminmystic »

We are also trying to think of the best way to insulate the engine compartment and lessen the noise on our Albin 27FC. Looking forward to some good ideas. One possibility is a car hood insulation such as that available for an old Mercedes ('72). Home depot and Lowes both sell 3/4" insulation sheeting in 4x8 pieces usually used for exterior walls that could be atached to back of the hatch with a 3M spray adhesive. What of changing the engine mounts to control some of the vibration? Your thoughts?
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

The product is called Sound down Look them up on the web.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
rwcoulter

Post by rwcoulter »

I've just finished installing new marine engine compartment insulation. It's 1" thick, two layers of foam sandwiching a heavy rubber layer with shiny tin-foil laminate to reflect heat. It was a little over $200 to get enough to do both hatches. They recommend contact cement to fqasten.
I also used 1 1/4" s/s screws and fender washers. They bit nicely into the first layer of glass and should keep it from falling down. I can send pics if you want to see what I did.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

What is the name and the source of the product that you used?

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

If you could post pictures of your project or email them to me that would be great. I'm going to try to do the same thing this summer. My email is JFOkie@comcast.net
Thanks, John
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

Does anyone have experience with any type of commercial floor mat products placed on top of the engine hatches to deaden sound? I'm thinking about something like rolled rubber mats cut to fit wheel house deck area.

Thanks

JVB
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

This product looks interesting. I might try it this summer and post the results.
http://www.silentrunning.us/index.html
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
rwcoulter

Post by rwcoulter »

Sorry for the lack of response on my part. I didn't see these posts until now. I don't know the name of the manufacturer. It had been repackaged and sold by a local retailer at the Toronto Boat Show and I don't have any pics. It makes a huge difference. When I close the engine compartment, it's like turning the volume way down. No need to raise voices to have a conversation.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”