• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ouch, Need New Engine

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Ouch, Need New Engine

Post by rcornejo »

Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice. Turns out that I have to re-power my 1997 Albin TE. I currently have the Beast Peninsular engine. So far, I have received a quote from a local company on installing a Yanmar straight 6. The complete engine costs $24,100. However, this does not include the labor to pull the old engine out and install the new engine. It also does not include the cost of the gauges.

Mat from Peninsular can install a new 2012 Peninsular for about $16,500. However, the cost to ship my boat there and back will cost around $10,000. He can ship the engine to Rockport, Texas but the local mechanics do not know that engine. Frankly, that makes me a little nervous.

Does anyone have any advice as to what options I may have that I may not be thinking about. My boat is in Rockport Texas and we are limited to the boat shops here that can do the job. I don't mind transporting the boat to any destination providing the deal is right. Also, does anyone recommend another engine that may be a good fit for me. All my fishing is done in the Gulf of Mexico usually 25 to 50 miles out so I want to feel confident on the engine I choose. Any advice you can provide me will be appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Ouch, Need New Engine

Post by RobS »

Another issue going from a Penn to a Yanmar is the exhaust, the Yanmar exhaust is on the port side, I believe yours is currently starboard.

What has failed requiring you to re-power?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Yes, you are correct. The exhaust is on the Starbord side. The problem I am having is that I have only owned the boat for about 2 years, however, at some point, the dripless packing was leaking and spraying water all over the engine and oil cooler. Apparently, over time, the engine, cooler and parts rusted out and now leaking oil. To fix the issue, the shops want to charge me $5,000 to fix the leaks but that still leaves me with the same engine and rust issues. They recommend that I repower at this time to put that money into a new engine. The problem I am having is that I am limited here to qualified people able to do the job.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Understood. Maybe Mat can ship an engine and a mechanic too!
Well I do know others have re-powered a Penn boat with Yanmar but some have stayed with the Penn.
Did you ask Mat if they could recommend a Penn knowledgeable mechanic in your area?
Last edited by RobS on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

I think Mat is working on sending a mechanic to the Houston area where he knows some of his dealers. I am still waiting to hear all the details. I will post everything once it comes through. I have been very happy with Mat's help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

Hi, I read about you problem. As a equipment owner [cranes and boats] I would suggest that you go with an engine which has local people for parts and service. All equipment breaks down. Local service is more important than brand .
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Mudskipper

Thanks, great point! I am very limited here as to shops and mechanics. I definitely wl consider that

Thanks again
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Well, as it turns out life gets in the way of the new engine. Therefore, I will have to make some repairs to keep her running for at least one more year. There are two things that need to be done for sure and I was hoping someone could give me advice, a link to go to, or send me drawings that may help me make these repairs.

The two repairs I need to do for sure are to replace the 4 oil lines going to the engine and replace the oil pan. I have the 300 Peninsular engine 97 model. The 4 hoses are in bad shape and the fittings are rusted pretty bad which will make it difficult to get them off. From what I have been told is that the oil pan is breaking apart from the rust. Has anyone done these repairs and can you give me any advice on how to attack both of these?

Thanks for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Tom Alby
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westbrook Ct PPM North

Post by Tom Alby »

Peninsular Diesel has an extensive web site that includes Tec support and all engine parts at a reasonable price you can contact them at www.peninsulardiesel.com replacing the oil lines and pan should be a DIY project gool luck Tom Alby/ Its Albin Easy
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Tom,

I took your advice and did that. We took off all the parts with little problems. I have ordered the new parts from Matt at Peninsular and should have them this week. They are really great folks there.

Thanks again for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”