• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Older TEs...check your stringers

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Older TEs...check your stringers

Post by jcollins »

I received the following note from one of our former members. Worth a look.
Please pass this note on to all Albin boat owners:

I just had to replace the stringers in my 1997 Albin 28 TE. While in the process of trying to sell this boat, it failed a survey of the stringers that run through the hull. An inspection found the stringers to be completely rotten inside. The Albin manufacturer apparently never properly sealed the stringers when the boat was built. Subsequently and for the past 14 years, water has been seeping into the fiberglass encapsulated plywood stringers. It cost me over $13,000 to repair this problem. But, it could have been a lot worse. The engine mounts affix to these stringers. At any time over the past several years, those stringers could have collapsed under the weight of the engine and put the boat and all on board in jeopardy. This is a serious safety issue that really needs to be passed on to Albin boat owners. Thank you, Captain Jerry Hart, USN (Retired).
I should add that I have never heard of this problem before. I am surprised to hear this happen to an Albin boat but it is worth checking.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Older TEs...check your stringers

Post by jleonard »

I should add that I have never heard of this problem before. I am surprised to hear this happen to an Albin boat but it is worth checking
Well just like anything, we don't know the whole story and history. Given the proper conditions this could happen to any boat of any make. All you need is someone drilling a hole in the wrong place, forgetting the sealer, or being stuck in "6 footers" on the wrong day going the wrong direction.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”