• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing the Timing Belt - Yanmar 6LPA

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replacing the Timing Belt - Yanmar 6LPA

Post by johnmurray »

My boat has the Yanmar 6LPA-STP engine and the maintenance schedule recommends replacing the timing belt at 1250 hours or five years whichever comes first. I now have only 600 hours on the engine but I am past the five year point. While my mechanic thinks I can go at least a couple of hundred more hours, the prevailing advice recommends a change-out based upon age, not hours.
While my boat is the A-30FC, I think the engine layout is identical to the A-28 Flush Deck with the same engine.
Does anyone out there who has done a timing belt change-out on a flush deck have any advice as to how to go about it? I have looked at the history of posts on this website as well as the on-line engine manual, and the actual mechanics involved look pretty straight-forward, but access appears to be very difficult. Do you have to lift the engine or cut any new holes to get at it?
Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Re: Replacing the Timing Belt - Yanmar 6LPA

Post by TimQ »

Did you ever get an answer to your question?
TQ
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Replacing the Timing Belt - Yanmar 6LPA

Post by johnmurray »

My mechanic was able to replace the timing belt without a great amount of difficulty, but access was awkward. There was no hole cutting or engine lifting involved. He used a mirror when doing the alignment. The whole job took him about four hours which included a few other minor engine items at the same time.
While I only watched, the job did not appear to be as big a deal as I had been led to believe.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “Albin Maintenance”