• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Considering a 1995 28TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
drbbb8641
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Channel Islands, CA

Considering a 1995 28TE

Post by drbbb8641 »

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but have had my eye on a 1995 28 TE for a little while now. I have absolutely fallen in love with the boat. My question is regarding the engine. Currently the boat is equipped with the Peninsular 300 diesel. 1464 hours.

I have hear mixed reviews on this engine (the negative reviews are making me a little uncomfortable). I was wondering if you Albin owners have any feedback, or experiences with these Peninsular engines. I know the Yanmars pack a little bit more HP, but I just want to know how you all feel about the Peninsulars. Should I focus on the Yanmar boats or is the Peninsular a safe bet.

The boat I am looking at is represented by a broker so I will have a sea trial, engine and boat survey done before anything is decided.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/ or any other info you have

Derek
Last edited by drbbb8641 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Considering a 2005 28TE

Post by whwells »

Derek: You will get a lot of favorable replys on the Pennisulars engines. As I understand it is basically the GM Hummer engine. Early in my search there was a 31 with twin Pennisulars. One was down. So I spoke several times with the people who convert ths engine to what you may be buying. The parnet company is reportly from Germany and the local U.S. Pennsulars people do the conversion. I found them very knowledeable and helpful. It was like call back anytime for more informaton. They were willing to do an exchange on the engine if sent by truck. The owner was in my mind too high for one with a blown engine.
It had less hours than yours and my question was why? Still you will have a number of very informed people tell you the engine is fine. Maybe a bit more noisy than the Cummins or Yarmars. My feeling is if you like the boat & the price is right you may be fine. Lots of people can work on the GM engne for sure. You might want to see how many units the company is selling so you can decide if they will be around for the long term. There are lots out there so likely it will.
There is a 31 Albin 2004 in the Channel Islands forsale that I looked at personally. It is a blue hull and really near perfect condition twin 315 yanmars. Other than we got hung up on taking a Classic 57 TBird in trade I would have purchased it in a New York Minute. It is probably much more expensive than your 28TE. I would say get a survery, look at the costs and make your decision. There were some reallly nice 28TE in the Long Beach and Newport area awhile back & I think San Diego. Do compare prices of those Yanmars before you jump & listen to what others say about the Pennsiulars who have them. Finally, if you have not already done so some research on BOAT DIESEL.COM on the engine you are considering.
It is a good source for diesel help. Very small price to join for one year.
WELCOME TO AOG. A 2005 is a late model and should give you years of good service.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Derek,
I have a 95 with the same engine. I am happy to report with 1150 hours, no problems.

Peninsular gained a bad reputation. The offending years did not include 1995. But, as with any brand, there are some inherent problems. If you search around this board you will find many postings about Peninsular. One word of caution about boatdiesel.com. It is a very good resource for diesel engines but, you will find, if you mention Peninsular you will be told to run away. Take that with a grain of salt. Most comments will be from a friend of a friend of a mechanic that never owned or worked on one.

I am curious of the asking price of the one you are considering. I'll be putting mine up for sale soon and I'm testing the waters.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
drbbb8641
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by drbbb8641 »

Thanks for the feedback so far. Please keep it coming.

The guy is asking 45k. Here is a link:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/Al ... ted-States

Thanks again

Derek
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Derek: Read John's comments to you. He has actual experience with the Pennisular engine's as do many others in AOG. Frankly, I agree with him that the later model engines have been fine. The one I looked at was 90's and lots of changes and upgrades occurred after that, You are looking at a 2005. If you like the boat don't let the Pennisular's of old scare you away. I don't see anyone running from these in the later models after the bugs were out. I suggested boatdiesel.com. It is true they are hard on the reports and it is doubtful any of them actually had the Pennisular engine and unlikely the later productions.
whwells "Howard"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Photos at the link look really good. Nice unit. The Beast looks very clean as well. My guess is you would be looking at third more with Yanama/Cummins. That has too be a consideration in the priciing.
whwells
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi,
Your subject line says 2005. You do mean 1995, correct?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
drbbb8641
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: Considering a 1995 28TE

Post by drbbb8641 »

Yes '95, so sorry

D
Fitter

Re: Considering a 1995 28TE

Post by Fitter »

Derek,
I had some of the same concerns when I recently purchased my 94 TE. I took some good advice from fellow owners of the 300 Peninsular engine. After some research, maintenance history and a thorough engine survey, I purchased the boat with no regrets. It seems that opinions are generated by folks with no actual history owning "The Beast".

Return to “New Member Introductions”