• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bilge pump

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

bilge pump

Post by te102056 »

I am a new owner of a 43' Iwas wondering if the switch for the bilge pump (breaker switch) needs to be left on at all times or just when you want to manually empty bilge?
Thanks
Tom
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: bilge pump

Post by jleonard »

The "stock" bilge pump on my 40 is a simple one that is turned on and off at the panel. It has no float switch so if the panel switch was left on the pump would run 24/7 regardless if there is water or not in the bilge. You don't want that.
I added an automatic pump on a seperate panel.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Tom,

If your bilge pump(s) is/are configured the same as ours, the breaker switch should be off and only used to manually run the bilge pump. There should be a float switch that is connected directly a battery or hot 12 volt lead so it will always run if needed. This article by Don Casey explains much better than I can: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/14.htm.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by te102056 »

Thank you all for the info

Return to “36/37/40/43”