• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where is my hydraulic steering

seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Where is my hydraulic steering

Post by seblyte »

Hi everyone, can anybody tell me how my hydraulic steering works (36 classic). It is obviously hydraulic but where is the pump and where does the fluid go in? I must be really dumb about this but I just can't find it!

Any help much appreciated. Sebastian
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Where is my hydraulic steering

Post by jleonard »

The steering wheel shaft goes to the pump therefore the pump will be behind the helm stations.
The upper has a resevoir for the fluid, mine is a standard pipe plug and you can remove it and look inside for the fluid level...if you can't get your head or a morror there make up a "dipstick", perhaps use a screwdriver to check the level.
The pump is simply a manual rotary pump that displaces fluid to move the steering cylinder (aka steering ram) which is attached to the rudder.
You should have the Teleflex Capilano system that is adjustable for flow via the angled hand knob under the steering wheels. This can change the number of turns of the wheel to get the rudder max in each direction (aka lock to lock).
The less turn the harder the steering wheel effort, if you can even notice it.
With the wimpy Ford Lehman 120 steering effort is minimal so I have mine adjusted as tight as it goes, approximately 3 1/4 turns lock to lock.
Hope this helps.
You can find bleeding instructions, etc on the internet very easily.

I also have a complete rebuilding file with pics someone gave me. I'll try to get that into the library if not already there.

EDIT: John posted that file today in the library
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Thanks John, please can you point me to the library.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

seblyte wrote:Thanks John, please can you point me to the library.
Hi Seblyte,

The library is accessible by "supporting members". The thinking is to have a bit of an extra value for those who have contributed to support the hosting costs of the site. You can become a supporting member by making a modest donation or buy purchasing AOG gear. The burgee or a cap is a favorite choice for many.

If you are interested please go to the AOG homepage (3rd link from the top on the Forum main page) and click on the contribute link.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
byoung4653
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Grand Rivers, KY Green Turtle Bay Resort

Post by byoung4653 »

My power steering reservoir is behind the lower helm, behind panel in the forward cabin locker. Mine has pump fitting at top of reservoir and must be pumped up after adding fluid. I plan to do that this weekend. May have more info for you after attacking myself.
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi byoung4653, I'd be really grateful for your feedback on this job. Good luck and I look forward to hearing.

Return to “36/37/40/43”